PAS 4: First Year THON observations

Last weekend, THON was nearly every Penn State student’s obsession. All everyone could think about was getting into the Bryce Jordan Center, despite the fact that the arena reached maximum capacity much earlier than expected. But any wait was well worth it; excuse the cliché, but it is certainly an experience unlike any other. It’s not only the largest student-run philanthropy in the world, but it the event itself is truly unique to Penn State. No other school hosts a Dance marathon of THON’s magnitude, and the fact that the students collectively raise over $13 million to fight pediatric cancer is something that every Penn Stater can be proud of. THON has made the news nationwide, with Diane Sawyer even taking the time to describe it to those who may not have heard of it.

Yet I feel that outsiders who hear about THON and the great cause that it fights for, but never experience it themselves are truly missing out. I’ll even admit that, as an out-of-state student who had never really hear of THON before coming to Penn State, I was not nearly as excited for THON in the weeks leading up to it as everyone else seemed to be. This was really because although I love to dance, the idea standing for hours with little sleep was not especially appealing to me. But there is something about the energy of 15,000+ in the BJC dancing, singing, and demonstrating PSU pride that makes THON so exciting.

I had always thought of the Penn State football games as the key to unifying the enormous school, but I now realize that THON has such a greater impact on every student, that it is our school’s trademark; at least in the eyes of the students that attend. I will admit, however, that there are certainly improvements that can be made to enhance the THON experience for all involved. First, it seems that every year the building reaches its maximum capacity earlier and earlier, and students are forced to wait outside before THON even begins earlier, as well. Long ago, THON used to be held in the White Building, believe it or not, and many have begun to suggest that it should move to Beaver stadium. The major benefit to this would be that no one will have to wait in line to get in, and everyone can be there for the “reveal” at the end. Of course, the weather would be a tough variable to account for in this situation, unless Beaver Stadium used a cover.

Secondly, I’ve heard people complain about how the intensity in making sure each organization has enough seats for their members puts a damper on the THON experience. In my own personal experience with my sorority, I had older girls demanding that people wait outside for hours before THON began to help guarantee that we find enough spots for our organization. Additionally, I know other people were forced to be at THON during off hours to ensure that no spots were stolen at off-times. Perhaps a reserved number of seats should be set aside for each major organization, to alleviate some of these difficulties. Despite these issues, THON is something that you don’t want to miss, and I can’t wait to start preparing and raising money for next year already!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to PAS 4: First Year THON observations

1. Allison Clifford says:

THON is definitely like nothing else I’ve ever experienced before. I, too, was rather wary of standing/dancing for hours and hours on end. However, in being there for those final four hours, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I also noticed the issue with reserving seats. One other thing that I noticed had a flaws in its operation was the pass system to get on the floor with the dancers. Hopefully some improvements in these areas can happen for next year to just further enhance the magic of THON.

2. emh5422 says:

I do agree that THON is an event that brings everyone together. The atmosphere was so extraordinary and I only wish to go back. Its so great that the entire Penn State community can come together to make a difference.