WIP: Advocacy Project

So I want to do my advocacy based on my Persuasion paper. In case you guys didn’t know, I focused my paper on Medical Malpractice, and how tort reform can change the future of Medicine.

My idea is that I am going to advocate by showing people the eye-opening statistics of Medical lawsuits. If I can get people to realize that doctors think that upwards of $650 billion is wasted each year because of defensive medicine, people may listen.

If I can talk about how the average Malpractice settlement is over $290,000, and that’s outside of court and out of the hospital, people may realize why I am advocating. (By the way, a trial that goes to a jury decision is an average $800,000 payout.)

The facts of my paper were all big statistics, and I want the facts of my advocacy project to be the same way.

I wish that I could use a method similar to the one used at the end of The Other Guys. I think that would be the most effective way to get a point across. Here is the video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvuDGyUkzoI

However, that may be unattainable. I would like to try to build graphics with that style though, the plain, statistical nature makes it effective.

4 thoughts on “WIP: Advocacy Project

1. I think you need to translate numbers into relatable subjects; that is, you need to make $650 billion into something that’s easier to wrap your head around. For example (not accurate, just for comparison’s sake), $650 billion is more than the damage caused to New Orleans after Katrina. Or $650 billion is enough to supply X to Y for Z amount of time.
    I just watched the video you posted: similar to what I was thinking! A video would be really cool, but I’m not sure how skilled you are at that sort of thing, and it looks like it could take a while to make. Clean graphics are the way to go here.

2. That video was really cool and I think it’s a great way to simply highlight the numbers in a cool, interest-sustaining way. Not sure how complicated it will be to make graphics similar to those, but I’m sure you can definitely do something like that. For a project that’s mainly statistics-based, I’m with you that something like this is probably the best approach.