Does Hope Really Heal?

At my high school we had one of the largest mini-THONs in Pennsylvania. Watching videos of the kids who come to our family hour (kids who have been to Hershey Medical and are now in remission) almost every video contains a parent who says that their child would never be in remission if it weren’t for them remaining hopeful. It kind of makes sense, if you are very ill and have this mindset that you are going to succumb to your illness, chances are that you aren’t as willing to fight through the pain or do everything necessary to get better. Also, those who believe that they will lose the battle against cancer often make unhealthy decisions because they believe that they won’t be around much longer to make any decisions. But then there are those who believe that they will get better, and they power through the chemotherapy sessions and do everything they can to stay as healthy as possible. Some people are very skeptical about this phenomenon though because to some it doesn’t seem possible that thoughts can change your physical health.

Jerome Groopman, author of “The Anatomy of Hope”, wrote: “Belief and expectation — the key elements of hope — can block pain by releasing the brain’s endorphins and enkephalins, mimicking the effects of morphine. In some cases, hope can also have important effects on fundamental physiological processes like respiration, circulation and motor function.” Groopman studies have shown that having hope positively impacts the nervous system, which then positively affects the whole body, giving it a higher chance of recovery. (CNN)

More interesting research on the topic came from Duane Bidwell who studied hope in kids with chronic illnesses. His studies show that there are five main modes of hope:

• “Maintaining identity by continuing to participate in activities and relationships that help patients retain a sense of self outside diagnosis and treatment.
  • Realizing community through formal and informal connections that help patients understand they are not alone in living with disease. This community is made real through conversation, visitation, consultation and participation in daily activities.
  • Claiming power by taking an active role in treatment by setting goals, self-advocating, monitoring and maintaining one’s own health.
  • Attending to spirituality, activated through religious, spiritual and other contemplative practices.
  • Developing wisdom, which involves both gaining pragmatic, medical wisdom derived from one’s own experience and finding ways to “give back.” (CNN)

According to Bidwell’s research, any of these modes of hope will help the healing process. This study connects to what I said earlier about those who believe that they are going to get better: they actively participate in their lives, do everything to stay as healthy as possible, they try to keep connections with those around them, and have as much fun as they can while laying in the hospital. These people, the ones with hope, although it’s not 100% scientifically are the ones that keep pushing and reach recovery.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/11/health/hope-healing-enayati/

One thought on “Does Hope Really Heal?

1. Jacklyn Nicole Hucke

This topic pulls my mind in all directions. This past January, I experienced a situation where I could do nothing but hope for the best. My best friend was extremely sick in the hospital in critical condition. I spent weeks hoping and praying that the she would get better, but unfortunately she didn’t. Hope did not heal. Hope could not heal in that situation. After my friend passed out, the only thing that I could do was hope that my best friend was looking down on me and watching over me. I would hope she was always look after me and be my guardian angel. In this case, hope did heal. Hope helped me in the mourning process of losing a friend. To me, hope is just a way to make people feel better. Hope may not exist but to some people, it’s the only thing they have.