Passion Blog Week 3: Tame Impala

From left to right: Kevin Parker (Vocals, Guitar), Jay Watson (Backing Vocals, occasionally Synth and Guitar), Dominic Simper (Guitar, Synth), Julien Barbagallo (Drums). Not Pictured: Nick Allbrook (Bass)

Tame Impala (I know its a weird name but they’re psychedelic, what do you expect?) is easily one of my favorite bands. That’s actually saying something since only two other artists can boast that they have all of their music in my library, those artists being Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. I’m not putting Tame Impala into the same category as those rock gods, but I find every song of their’s absolutely amazing. Tame Impala was formed in Perth, Australia by Kevin Parker in 2007. In 2008, Tame Impala’s self titled debut EP was released. The EP contains 25 minutes and 54 seconds of psychedelic bliss. It has riffs with strong stoner rock influences, seemingly from a different era in time, driving bass, and insane drum rhythms, and passionate vocals. The themes are obviously dipped in acid (if you get my drift) but its not just an album meant for those who want to take a trip, as is evidence by it placing 1 on the Australian Independent Record Labels chart. Tame Impala followed up with touring and eventually a single release titled “Sundown Syndrome”. This release built upon the musical templates already set: psychedelic guitar based rock with incredibly complex instrumentals. By 2010, Tame Impala had become a pretty big thing in Australia, and released their first album, “Innerspeaker”. Its 60s rock with a modern twist, incorporating vintage forms with new age equipment resulting in something totally original and captivating. I guess I make this association since Kevin Parker sometimes sounds like John Lennon when he sings, but honestly, if the Beatles were doing their later albums like Abbey Road and Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Band, this is probably what it would sound like. Absolutely amazing, a solid 53 minutes of captivating melodies blending with spacy, dreamlike vocals and complex harmonies. It contains less stoner rock influences with fewer fuzzy guitar riffs than previous releases, but maybe thats for the best. Their sound is different, but just as amazing as when it started. The album went on to win Rolling Stone’s Album of the Year award, was certified Gold in Australia, and led to Tame Impala being nominated, and winning, many Australian music awards (I know you’re thinking, who gives a damn how famous they are in Australia? The music scene for bands is exploding in Australia, as you will see in future blogs). Tame Impala will be releasing their second full length album “Lonerism” in October and judging from “Apocalypse Dreams” and “Elephant” (songs that have already been released off of the album) it will be even better than the first.

Apocalypse Dreams      Half Full Glass Of Wine     Runway Houses City Clouds

Solitude Is Bliss

This entry was posted in Passion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.