The First Blog of the New Semester

After looking at the Civic Issue topics, I think the ones I find most interesting are gender/sexuality rights, environment, and education.

I often find that gender/sexuality rights are so interesting because it really is one of the few forms of discrimination left. I feel like if race was to the 50’s and 60’s, gender/sexuality is to now. So in some regard I guess we shouldn’t be surprised, it is just history repeating itself. I think there is so much to discuss; is it a moral issue, is it a religious issue, is it a simple lack of information? I think each of these provides a different avenue that can be traveled, and that is the main reason why I think it appeals to me.

If you have either been following my blog before, or simply taken a peek around before this, you may have noticed I might be a tad bit biased here. I am rather passionate about conserving the environment and sustainability. While gender/sexuality rights offer a smattering of paths to take, I personally feel environment as a civic issue is simply ignorance, or maybe just an unwillingness to accept. With that being said, I do think there is a vast ocean of information about the environment just waiting to be dove into. Because of that, I think using this as a civic issue blog would be enjoyable.

Well my knowledge of the education system from a politics standpoint may be lacking, I do know that it is broken. And from what I hear, and know from experience, it is broken badly. There are so many things that can be pointed to as faults, and so many corrections that need to be made. I think the civic issue surrounding education goes beyond the school system though, and reaches towards the cultural mindset in America. Researching and looking at how these two are intertwined would be an eyeopening experience I think.

As I think about my TIB, many things come to mind, but I think the biggest one for me is STEM, Science Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. I have a lot of ideas for this, mainly because it really affected my life. I also think by incorporating this into our education system more, there would be so many positive affects. Not only that, but if we don’t implement it, there will be so many detrimental affects. I understand the STEM fields, are not for everyone, but when no students in some areas have and interest in STEM, I think that is a problem, which is something I can expand upon in my TIB.

So while I am extremely passionate about my passion blog, I am thinking about switching it up, to my other passion (which I even talked about in my last blog a little bit), which is cars. I love them. I know random facts about them, I love learning about them, and oh my goodness I surely can talk about them. I am thinking something along the line of a weekly car review. I have driven quite a bit of cars in the short time I have had my license. So talking about those experience, as well as the performance figures and looks of other cars should easily fill my blogging experience.

This entry was posted in Work In Progress and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to The First Blog of the New Semester

1. Avik Sarker says:

It seems you have quite a palette of ideas for your civic issues blog that you have to choose from! The question is, do you want to continue to write about the environment within your blogs? I know from reading some of your passion blogs last semester that you know quite a lot about environmental issues, so it’s up to you if you think you have more nooks and crannies to explore. Or more big ideas for that matter. I don’t really know a whole lot about STEM, so I think it would be nice to learn more about it and its impact on you as well. And your passion blog idea also seems pretty cool; I know nothing about cars so it would be nice to learn more!

2. Spencer Schrock says:

I might be biased as a science major, but I like the topic of STEM for your TIB. I’m considering doing something about science in mine, so I’ll be sure to check yours out.
    With regards to the Civic Issue blog I also found it hard to narrow down, but it sounds like you’re leaning towards the Environment too.

3. Shalome Sine says:

So I basically agreed with everything you said about gender/sexuality/rights. It’s probably my second choice behind the environment blog. But I haven’t decided yet.
    Also, I like your idea about STEM. Sometimes people think they aren’t interested at all because of the way they percieve it; and in a lot of cases it’s because they’ve been taught STEM-related things in a really dry way. But it doesn’t have to be dry, it can be interesting, and it’s really important.