‘Bulworth’ reinforces rather than undercuts certain racial stereotypes about white men and black women.

I found an article which provides an interesting opinion about this film. The author thinks the cross-race romantic relationship reinforces the racial stereotype than destroy it. He says that,

In fact, white men have been eroticizing the bodies of African-American women, especially light-skinned women like Halle Berry, for a long time. Beatty, in many of his interviews plugging the movie, has been advancing the cause of interracial love as the only way out of the nation’s racial dilemma, apparently unaware that Bulworth actually reinforces rather than undercuts certain racial stereotypes.

Just because a white guy falls in love with, or simply lusts after, an African-American woman doesn’t necessarily mean that he supports racial equality. On the contrary, this sort of interaction among races and genders played a central role in affirming the ability of white men, especially in the South, to call the shots before and after the Civil War.

And he analyzes several well-know cases to prove his argument. It is really interesting and worth reading.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-06-14/news/1998165037_1_bulworth-halle-berry-stereotypes

One thought on “‘Bulworth’ reinforces rather than undercuts certain racial stereotypes about white men and black women.

1. Joseph Paul Davies

As I have mentioned in a comment on a previous post, I personally believe the author of this article is looking at the issue far too literally. It takes away from the amount of depth this film has and the underlying ideas being disseminated. I can understand this argument in a film meant to be taken at face value, but these two characters are representations through and through. Even without looking at it allegorically, I would argue that both parties are equally taken with each other. The reason Bulworth is the first to appear to be “lusting” is that he has broken from his previous ideals and Halle’s character represents something much more appealing. She is also the one who makes the most aggressive advances, and when it comes time to consummate the allegorical forms, Bulworth simply falls asleep. It is important to be looking at racial issues in film and it is equally important to avoid giving credit for equality when it is not due, but I do not think this is the film to criticize on that front.