Passion Blog #4 – Not Just Any Woman, but Wonder Woman!

Would you look at that! Another senior year costume for the books! Lately, I have been introducing group costumes, but this can be classified as an individual costume. Both my best friend, Haley, and I paired up for this opportunity! After some searching and some buying, I think it turned out pretty darn well. First off, we knew we wanted to find a superhero costume. Clearly, in today’s society, we could have chosen any gender superhero to model our costume off of, but we decided to stick with the females. We wanted a well-known individual who empowered others. Instantly, Catwoman was off the list considering some think of her as a villain. We thought about Super Woman, but some reason we chose Wonder Woman instead. It is just as well we chose her anyways, because lately there has been a lot of hype regarding her character.

Image by DC Comics

The Wonder Woman movie recently came out, making Wonder Woman one of the most popular costumes for this past Halloween. During this new movie, Wonder Woman’s newly updated and modernized outfit debuted. However, the costume I created is based off of the original Wonder Woman outfit. To find out more about Wonder Woman, click here.

This costume requires materials you may find at home, materials you can buy elsewhere, and some items that require a little bit of love and effort (aka your typical DIY). Let’s start with the easy part. In my house, I already owned some blue shorts and a red t-shirt. Life hack: turn your red t-shirt inside out to provide the perfect blank canvas. Haley and I then headed out to Party City and purchased a mini kit that included both our cape and arm cuffs. Due to our cheap budget, that was all we could afford. As a result, I went home and created our belts and headbands. I used this template as a guide (the black and white one with a star). I then collected some red and gold paint from the paint bucket in our basement, and grabbed some red ribbon while I was down there. I cut my card stock to the dimensions of the template, painted it, then cut some holes to thread my red ribbon through and voila! A belt and headband are officially made. Next, I printed out the Wonder Woman logo, cut it out, and taped it to my red shirt. To tie the look together, I curled my hair and applied some red lipstick.

Needless to say, I was really proud of how this costume turned out. I stayed up till two in the morning creating our DIY segment of the outfit. By exchanging the skirt for shorts and the form-fitting strapless top for a t-shirt, the look lost some of its femininity. However, we managed to make it into a comfy costume that essentially served its purpose. I think it is pretty obvious the superhero we channeled. We were not just any woman, we were Wonder Woman!

Image by the author

Due to today’s recent movie, Wonder Woman’s costume has evolved since she first originated in the comics. The original outfit channels the red, white, blue, and yellow that Haley and I followed. The new outfit is a mixture of rich metallic reds, golds, and blues. Like always, some do not have the time or the effort to be put in to create a costume. Here is a link to an original style of the costume. Here is a link to the newer costume. Good luck and happy DIYing!

What You Need DIY Wonder Woman Checklist:

-Card stock

-Red and gold paint

-Hole puncher

-Red ribbon

-Wonder Woman logo

-Template

-Red cape and arm cuffs

-Red t-shirt

-Blue shorts

-Red lipstick

One thought on “Passion Blog #4 – Not Just Any Woman, but Wonder Woman!