Passion Blog #7 – Double-Whammy!!

Due to my attendance at another Deliberation run under Professor Babcock, I now no longer have to write two extra blogs. There is just one problem: I have too many costumes to talk about and not enough blogs left! As a solution, I decided to write about two different costumes in this blog to make up for the fact that I cannot write about each of them individually anymore.

Throwing it back to junior year of high school, I yet again had two different costumes. My actual Halloween costume was Blossom of the Powerpuff Girls. Powerpuff Girls was a TV cartoon during the early 2000’s as I was growing up. One of my favorite shows, I always loved Blossom’s character. As a group of three, costume ideas began to become limited in options. My friends and I chose the Powerpuff Girls because it would be easy to recreate, but also served as a joke since we had my friend Peter dress up as Bubbles. Blossom’s costume requires items that everyone can find within their closet or local Walmart. All you need is: red ribbon, pink shirt, shorts (any color but preferably pink, white, or black), pink tutu, high white socks, and black flats. Throw those clothes on and tie the red ribbon into your hair and you are good to go. Buttercup’s costume requires: a green headband, green shirt, shorts, green tutu, high white socks, and black sneakers. Finally, Peter (aka Bubbles) used a blue shirt, blue tutu, blue shorts, high white socks, black sneakers, blonde hairspray, and a blonde hairband. Together, strike your best superhero pose. Sugar, spice, and everything nice (+ a dash of Chemical X) never looked so good!

Image by the author

I wore my second costume for Halloween that year during the annual Halloween cheer practice that year. Again, I paired up with a buddy (everything is so much more fun when you have someone to experience it with!). As my friend Kaitlin and I brainstormed ideas we came across the idea of emojis. At the time, emojis were a newer trend and proved popular. We discovered the emoji that depicts two girls dressed in black dancing together. I think I would argue that this costume is probably the simplest but most efficient costume I have written about so far. It can easily be used as a last-minute costume for a costume party you forgot about. All you need is: a black t-shirt, black shorts, high black socks, any shoes you prefer (I wore cheer shoes to practice in this outfit), and a black ribbon. Technically, the real emoji twins wear bunny ears, but we substituted the black ribbon. We figured the loops of the bow could mimic the ears somewhat. As you long as you strike the hands on hip and right leg stuck out pose with a “twin” of your own, people will get the gist of what you are trying to mimic.

Image by the author

As always, I try to link store-bought versions down below as well. Here is a link to Blossom, and a link to Bubbles. I could not find a link for Buttercup unfortunately. As for the emoji twin costume, there are no store-bought costumes. After doing some research it seems as if others bout a black leotard and bunny ears, but it is up to the viewer’s interpretation. This is your chance to personalize your costume and make it unique compared to others. Mine is tailored for cheerleading, but perhaps you could tailor it for a college Halloween party (I am assuming most of my readers are those in college.).

Which costume do you like better?

2 thoughts on “Passion Blog #7 – Double-Whammy!!