Part II

In Part II, when Addario tells the story of how the Muslim’s men touching her body, I almost have developed the same feeling as if there are thousands hands of men are on my body, touching me, humiliating me, regarding me as a toy that provides them with pleasure. This scene has immediately drawn my attention to the insight of sexist who sends women into the trap where they unintentionally enter.

There is a nature of sex that each human-being contains, and I believe this is undoubtedly true. 

Even the “most religious” men in the practice of Muslim still has this nature that is banned by their societal bond. Foreign women dressed respectfully as a Muslim, showing their respect toward their religion, yet they simply just disregard it. A foreign woman reminds those men nothing but the figures in porn movies that have all those “easy and available” characteristics of sex.

This harsh truth is pathetic.

No one can hide their nature, but the society or whatever the religion contains inside of it is trying to forbid our nature.

I have no judgements toward the men or the ideal of sexist behind it in this case. I only judge the insight of sexist that puts both men and women in such a position. No one is running away from this cycle.

The strategies Addario uses to emphasize her passion and resolution on photograph are through the means of patho, ethos.

The patho is the appeal of ethics that connects to the scene happens to Addario. It is not just physically wrong but morally those men are offending her and humiliating her, contributing to draw the connection from the audience that this ethic value behind this scene is significant to such a bond. Moreover, Addario utilizes the emotions she has created from anger, disappointment, and surprises to establish such a base for the audience to connect their emotion to what is happening to her.

In order to persuade the audience about the profound insight of my own passion, I think the best way to connect with the audience is through emotional bonding that links both the audience and my passion together. What I am experiencing should also be what the audience is experiencing at that particular moment. The audience can easily believe what I have created is true to them as well. Finding the commonplace will be path to the success of linking both sides.

One thought on “Part II

1. I actually did the same moment of part II that you mentioned, and mentioned the same devices that you did! Having said that, I definitely agree with your point that despite her attempt to be respectful toward the Afghani culture, the first thing that people notice about her is her gender. However, I just want to clarify that this is something that all of us undergo everywhere we go and not only in the Muslim world.