Monthly Archives: January 2024

We Don’t Talk About Money

We don’t talk about money.  And that kind of makes sense.  Money is one of those things that you don’t want to boast about if you have it, and you don’t want others to suspect if you don’t have it.  There’s a cultural stigma attached to talking about money. It can bring up negative emotions.  Those who have more money seem to come out on top in power dynamics.  Those who have less money can be looked down upon.  And rather than inflict that into our everyday lives, we just don’t talk about it.

Unfortunately, money isn’t a topic that can just be avoided in life.  Having money is a necessity to survive.  You have to learn about how to manage it.  How to earn it.  How to save it. How to spend it wisely. How to insure against losing it.  Perhaps things have changed since I was a kid, but this is not information I was taught in school.

My parents were always very secretive about how much money they made.  I guess they thought that would give me some sort of protection against societal stratification at school.  It really didn’t….but the thought was nice.

Luckily my parents did actually teach me some things about money.  They taught me about how loans work when I borrowed some of the money I needed to add a tiny black and white television to my bedroom.  They taught me about budgeting by giving me an allowance.  They taught me about saving by setting up a savings account for me and encouraging me to add to it regularly.  When I started my first minimum wage job at the local grocery store, they taught me how to use a checking account (and how to write a check, which is quickly becoming a lost art).  When I started my first full time job, my father taught me the importance of contributing to the retirement account (at least enough to get the employer match) right away.  And I’m sure there were many more examples over the years.

I count myself as lucky that my parents were able to teach me a bit about money.  I count myself as very lucky that I was intrigued enough by the topic to become a lifelong student and teacher of personal finance.  There is always more to learn.  But we don’t talk about money. I honestly believe that if talking about money were less taboo, more people would have a better understanding of personal finance and would become better managers of their own money.  Unfortunately, that isn’t the world we live in.

We don’t talk about money.

That Time I Fell for a Scam…

I made a really stupid mistake just before Christmas.  I pride myself on knowing enough not to fall into financial traps.  And I did exactly that.

I was doom scrolling through social media and came across an ad offering me a too good to be true deal on an electric fireplace/entertainment center.  I wanted it to be real.  It looked real.  So I clicked.  It took me to a web site that looked just like Big Lots.  But it was BigLotsSale.com.  Not Big Lots.  I was convinced it was real.  I really wanted that fireplace. So I jumped.  I put in my info and my credit card and I was off.  I received a confirmation email, so I was sure this was for real.  A day or two later I received an email confirming the shipping.  It was real!  It had to be real!

After a few more days. I went back to the shipping email to click the tracking number and find out when my amazing fireplace would arrive.  And that’s when I figured it out.  The tracking number didn’t lead to anywhere.  I started searching the shipping company and discovered it was fake.  Crap!  I had been duped.  A subsequent search on BigLotsSale led me to discover that this is a very common, yet very well done, scam.  Reddit helped me find all of the painful information.

My first action after discovering my mistake was to lock my credit card.  Then I looked at the charges on my card and found one that I had not made.  I called my credit union and they removed the charge I didn’t make right away.  They canceled my card for me and walked me through the process to dispute the charge that I did make on the fake web site.  Then came the fun of moving all of my automatically billed things to a different card.  Automation is great….until it isn’t.  Then I went out to the three credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion) and put freezes on my account, so the scammers would not be able to open new credit in my name.

I’m actually very lucky.  There is no significant damage caused by my error.  My only potential loss is the $50 charge I made trying to buy the fireplace.  And I may eventually get that back as well.  And I learned a very valuable lesson about buying things through an ad on social media.  I don’t recommend doing it without first researching the “merchant.”  But I also learned how easy it is for people to fall victim to a scam.  I’m very educated in this area and still fell for it.  How easy would it be for someone who doesn’t  focus their life around financial education to make this mistake and have it turn out so much worse?

I’m trying not to beat myself up over this.  It’s done.  I learned something. Everything turned out ok.  This was a very impressive, sophisticated scam.  I’m not a financial idiot…just someone who really wanted an amazing deal on something I really desired.  Technology is scary.  The scammers knew from my online history what would make me jump.  And I definitely won’t be making that mistake again.  A mistake is only a problem if you don’t learn something from it.  And I definitely learned a valuable lesson about shopping from social media ads.

If you have ever fallen for a scam, don’t take it as a personal failure.  It’s not.  It’s an opportunity to move forward with better knowledge than you had before.

Be careful out there.  The internet is a scary place!