The Power of PSU

By: Gretchen Little

During the summer of 2021, I was on the hunt for an internship. Unsure about starting an internship completely online, I started looking around for something local to State College. On one of the Penn State job sites, I found a position titled “Bednar Donor Engagement Intern.” I applied, unsure of what may come. 

When I received my offer email, I was ecstatic. As someone who had always loved the Libraries and communications, I was excited to be able to combine the two. Over the year, I worked with a platform to create personalized “thank you” videos for donors, attended donor events, and worked on various projects. 

The internship was only supposed to last for two semesters, so when they offered me the opportunity to stay on for the summer I jumped on it. I was soon notified that there was a full-time position open in the office. Again, I applied, unsure of what may come. 

When I received my offer, I was thrilled. My summer internship will soon come to an end, and I will begin full time as the Assistant Director of Alumni and Donor Relations. I can say, with confidence, I would not be in this role if I had not had my internship. 

You may hear over and over about the importance of completing an internship during your time at Penn State. I urge you to not take this advice lightly. Through my internship, I was able to make invaluable connections and develop a large variety of professional skills. Remember, you never know who you will meet! 

So often, we may forget all the amazing opportunities that are available to us right on campus. I encourage each person to review the Penn State job postings and see if anything is of interest. You never know what the power of Penn State can do for you!

Be the first to comment on "The Power of PSU"