WTF, My Last Blog Post?!

Music is something that means a lot to me, and pretty much everybody. This is why I decided to write my passion blog about music. I wanted to share what I know about the music I like and even talk about music I don’t necessarily care for.

You might be wondering why I decided to do a blog about genres. Of all of the things you could say about music I decided to rattle on about where it’s from, what it’s called, and why? This might seem trivial to some people but I believe that music genres represent a specific time and a specific culture. Alternative music in particular is associated with counter-culture and people who are different, and when you classify all alternative music together you classify all alternative people together. The people who listen to ska are different than the people who listen to pop rock and to say they like the same things is a sad generalization of people who don’t all love what’s popular in the moment. Making a blog has been a very eye opening experience in that I not only learned some new bands and new facts, but I also learned a bit about myself.

First I learned that I am a bit technologically challenged, and second I learned that I’m a bit of a music snob. I went back and realized I was focused way more on what the music is called and why ( which is still important) and not enough on the music itself and what aspects and types of music mean the most to me. This post is about me (not to be selfish or anything), it’s about what I love most about music and what music makes affects me the most.

I’m going to end my passion blog in a way I feel is most appropriate, talking about the music I’m most passionate about. In almost every genre I spoke about I have a favorite band and one artist in particular that I really enjoy. I have to start off with indie because it’s the music I listen to the most.

One of my favorite indie bands is Modest Mouse. They have a huge variety of music and everyone can find something they enjoy in there hundreds of songs. You’ve probably heard there song “Float On”(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTAud5O7Qqk) in an OnStar commercial, it’s there most popular song and one of my favorites. It’s slow and interesting, but also has a catchy chorus that everyone can get into. Another one of my favorite indie bands is relatively new, Little Green Cars. They’re actually awesome and they only have one album but it’s really cool and I suggest everyone listen. I recommend listening to “The John Wayne” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHwMDr6dMHI). I personally live this song, but it’s all great.

Those are the only bands I’m going to mention right now, but here a list of some a that get honorable mention…

The Arctic Monkeys(indie rock), The Black Keys (indie rock), Kate Nash( Pop), Dr. Dog (Indie),  Fleet Foxes (indie), Passion Pit (Synth-pop).

One response to “WTF, My Last Blog Post?!