Can we catch up on sleep on the weekends?

So we are all college students and I’m sure I am not alone in not getting nearly enough sleep due to all the various responsibilities I have that take up my time. Classes, homework, sports, clubs, friends, jeez it seems the list of things we are expected to do in college is never ending, however there are still only 24 hours in the day to do it all. sleep 3 Many people see the weekends as their salvation and the phrase “catch up on some sleep” is spoken with a grin in regards to what our plans for the weekend are. But I’m curious as to weather there is any scientific basis on this idea. Can our bodies actual recover from all the adverse side affects of not getting enough sleep throughout to week by getting possibly too much of it over the weekends? According to Scientific American there is a penalty our body accumulates when we abuse our sleeping patterns. “Sleep debt is the difference between the amount of sleep you should be getting and the amount you actually get. It’s a deficit that grows every time we skim some extra minutes off our nightly slumber.” So logically one would think if they missed 7 hours of sleep that they were supposed to get in one week (assuming a person should sleep 8 hours a night) if they slept for 15 hours in one day they would be able to repay their sleep debt. But this is unfortunately not the truth. Lets begin to address this issue by looking at what exactly the side effects of not getting enough sleep are. The Huffington Post has an article on the 8 biggest effects of sleep deprivation but to summarize they are increased stroke risk, greater chances of obesity and diabetes, memory loss, bone damage, cancer risk, heart pain, and death. These risks are associated with prolonged sleep deprivation, which unfortunately for college students is quite common. Now there is some hope after all, sleep debt can be repaid, but it is a process and not a quick solution. It takes months and regulation of a new improved sleep schedule before the human body begins to show signs of improvement from the damage the deprivation did in the first place. But suppose you already have a healthy sleeping pattern and pulled an all-nighter to work on a project, will you be able to repay your debt the next day? The answer is yes! This type of sleeping you would be doing the next day is referred to as recovery sleeping, where you sleep an additional amount to your usual pattern. “For recovery sleep, both the hours slept and the intensity of the sleep are important. Some of your most refreshing sleep occurs during deep sleep. Although such sleep’s true effects are still being studied, it is generally considered a restorative period for the brain. And when you sleep more hours, you allow your brain to spend more time in this rejuvenating period.” So a bit of advice for all of us, our sleeping patterns are important and must be regulated. Staying up all night can be resolved with extra sleep only if the person doing this doesn’t make a habit of it. Be careful how you value your sleep, you may not realize how important it is to your health. sleep 1

Source:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-can-you-catch-up-on-sleep/ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/18/scary-sleep-deprivation-effects_n_2807026.html

3 thoughts on “Can we catch up on sleep on the weekends?

1. Andrea Marie Linn

This article relates to everyone. I myself am involved with a sorority and the crew team. It is extremely to juggle that along with school and work. I get about 5-6 hours a night and take naps during the day in-between classes. There is so much to do at this school I feel like I can never get anything done! I think everyone’s schedule will be thrown off is they don’t get the proper amount of sleep and take naps during the day. I should listen to my own advice! Once you are on a sleeping schedule, you will feel and perform better.

2. Alex Seth Blankman

After being stupid and going to sleep at 3:00 am, when I had to wake up at 7:30 for class/studying for my morning exam, I have been exhausted all day and this is the main reason I chose to comment on this article specifically and while I agree sleep is extremely important, it is not always possible. As a college student there are many reasons why we do not get sleep, those reasons include studying, partying, and watching Netflix, and while most of the time sleep can be found throughout the day, there are plenty of times when I wish I could sleep but due to school related reasons, cannot.

3. Chloe Atherton Cullen

This is so appropriate that you posted this because I have been thinking all day today how tired and sick I feel. I set up my schedule so I have morning classes Mon-Fri but don’t get to sleep until usually 1 am. I felt physically sick this morning, unable to focus, and had stomach pains and headaches. I took a 2 hour nap and felt all better! So I researched napping after reading your article and found this article: http://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/napping/page/0%2C3/. It says naps can be beneficial, but really long ones can throw off your sleep schedule. This is a very interesting topic that may have inspired a blog for me, so thank you so much!