Are cell phones cancerous?

In this day and age it can be argued that dogs are no longer considered “man’s best friend”. Instead, we find ourselves so heavily reliant on our cell phones that without them, we feel like a fish out of water. But could it be possible that having such a deep relationship with your phone prove to be detrimental to your health? Currently, science says no (few!), but there is a call for speculation that points otherwise.

In a study conducted by Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association, it was said that “as of 2010, there were more than 303 million subscribers to cell phone service in the United State” (National Cancer Institute), which is up an astounding 193 million from 2000. Because we consider cell phones vital to our everyday routines, it’s usually one of the first things you reach for in the morning and one of the last things you think about before bed.

phone

Consumers of all ages, ethnicities, and financial backgrounds carry their phones with them wherever they go, putting them at risk for over exposure to radio-frequency energy, or radio waves. Radio-frequency energy is “a form of non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation, which can be absorbed by tissues closest to where the phone is held” (National Cancer Institute). Although nothing has been proven to show that cell phones are a direct cause of cancer, researchers are worried that the radiation absorbed from cellphone may contribute to tumors such as “malignant brain tumors, tumors of the nerve connecting the brain to the ear, and non-cancerous tumors of the salivary glands” (cancer.org), all areas in which we use our phones most often.

Ultimately, doctors have come to the conclusion that the radiation emitted by cell phones does not “have enough energy to damage DNA directly or to heat body tissue” (cancer.org), but there is still room to believe that “radio active waves from cell phones produce effects in human cells that might possibly help tumors grow” (cancer.org). In other words, cell phones cannot directly cause cancerous tumors. However, the radiation that comes from phone usage may affect cells to the point where they are no longer beneficial to our body.

With these new findings, I find myself less obligated to use my phone more than is necessary. Before I came to college I deleted every useless app and game off my phone to ensure that I would remain focused on my work. Looking back, I ultimately gave myself an excuse not to expose myself to potentially harmful radio-frequency energy, and possibly even cancer, regardless of whether scientists believe cell phones are cancerous or not.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/cellular-phones

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/cellphones

5 thoughts on “Are cell phones cancerous?

1. Michael S Martinez

I agree that cell phones would have absolutely no effect on your likelihood to develop cancer. The radiation emissions are so minuscule, that it’s been found that even a emits more radiation than a cell phone. Everything emits radiation and a cell phone’s emissions certainly aren’t alarming. Perhaps the problem lies within the fact that a cell phone is constantly in one’s pocket and the radiation adds up. This may lead to fertility problems or others

2. Matthew Patrick Crall

I feel that cell phones will not be found to have any detrimental effect on the human body. Like the research says phones emit such little radiation that it may cause tumors which is extremely unlikely. And as technology becomes more advanced you will probably see cell phones becoming safer and eventually not emitting any radioactive waves whatsoever.

3. Devin Joseph Rafferty

I feel that this is a subject a lot like the cigarette debate throughout the 20th century. Since phones are so new and as of now have not been linked with cancer but instead help us with our daily routines everyone uses them. But possibly in the future, say in 50 years we could learn they are cancerous. Only time can tell but stills got me a little nervous.

4. Kristen Louise Robertson

The fact that cell phones are a relatively new invention does frighten me a lot because we do not know the long term affects they will have on us yet. I always have my phone on me so if phones are indeed cancerous, I am not in the best shape for the future. However, I found an eleven year study that was conducted proving that cell phones do not cause cancer. I am still skeptical though because the study is only 11 years long, what about what will happen in 60 years? Here is the study:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2558584/Mobile-phones-DONT-cause-cancer-11-year-study-finds-pose-no-risk-health.html