The Science Behind Coffee

For many people, coffee is what keeps them going throughout the day. Often times, more than one cup is needed for people who drink coffee regularly, which is a very typical thing. Coffee is a way that many of us overcome tiredness, and is the 2nd most traded commodity in the world. With so much coffee consumption present, it is important to realize the actual effects that coffee has on our brain, and our bodies.

People drink coffee when they are tired, however the idea of why they are tired is never really a thought. Tiredness is caused by a molecule in our bodies called adenosine. While we sleep, levels of this molecule decrease, causing us to be less and less tired as the night progresses. When a small level of adenosine is present, that is when people wake up. Caffeine affects adenosine by bonding to its receptors. If the adenosine molecule cannot bond with these receptors, the body never gets the message that it is tired, which is how coffee wakes us up. However, for those who regularly drink coffee, the body produces more adenosine receptors in order to actually allow these molecules to bond with what they are supposed to. In response, people become addicted to coffee. Every time we get more receptors, more caffeine is needed to block them. Therefore, when people who normally drink coffee do not have it, there is a multiplied amount of receptors than the amount that was originally there before this person ever drank coffee in the first place.

Additionally, coffee boosts levels of adrenaline and prevents dopamine from being absorbed in the brain. This causes people to be in better moods after consuming coffee, along with the idea that it feeds addiction. People often forget that caffeine is a drug, and is actually very similar to cocaine. Like caffeine, cocaine blocks similar receptors, as well as boosting levels of adrenaline. However, unlike cocaine, it is incredibly hard to over dose on coffee. For an average person, seventy cups of coffee would be needed to overdose and they would all need to be consumed at the same time. This is technically impossible, since the body would not be able to handle this volume of liquid and would present symptoms of vomiting, mania and hallucinations before the overdose could ever be successful.

Caffeine is used every where, and many people would consider themselves dependent on it. With minuscule effects that is has on the body, it is a go-to for people who need a boost or who did not get enough sleep the night before. Yet, it is still important to recognize that caffeine is a drug, and it does have obvious affects on the brain and body. By consuming a large amount, it alters the body’s normal patterns and stops normal molecules from reaching their intended receptors. Regardless, coffee is a necessity for many and is an easy way to provide a much needed boost throughout the day.

Sources: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-does-coffee-affect-your-brain-2014-8

http://www.healthambition.com/negative-effects-of-coffee/

2 thoughts on “The Science Behind Coffee

1. Katerina Economikos

My junior year of high school was when I began to drink coffee and it did not take me long before I became completely hooked on it. To this day, drinking coffee is a necessity in the morning and if I do not have it, I get a headache, become irritated, and do not perform as well. While I do understand that coffee is a drug and should be used in moderation, I do not drink more than one cup of coffee a day. Many people tend to associate coffee with keeping you awake however there are many other benefits that caffeine has which many people overlook. According to an article I have I have listed below, caffeine can ease depression by increasing levels of dopamine in the brain. Perhaps this is why people are irritated or cranky when they do not have their usual coffee in the morning. Caffeine can also reduce kidney stone risk. In a study of 217,883 people, those who consumed caffeine had less kidney stone formation than those who did not. Additional information can be found in the link below.

http://www.caffeineinformer.com/top-10-caffeine-health-benefits

2. Teona A Ringgold

Great post. As I read this, I immediately thought of my mother who has had a cup of coffee EVERY SINGLE day for YEARS, probably before I was born. The part that stood out to me was when you mentioned that coffee puts people in a better mood. Before she has her coffee, we just know not to mess with her too much, however, she is totally different once she gets her cup of coffee. I have always wondered if she were even drinking it because she were “tired”, or if it was just because she felt like she needed it.
    Also, I noticed that whenever I drink coffee, because I’m studying really late or something, I tend to have a hard time concentrating. I wonder if that has anything to do with anything presented in this post.