Japanese Fashion

Here at Penn State we have kids from all over the world who attend. With that comes different culture from all over the world and thus fashion from all over the world. Walking around campus and the streets of State College I have seen the influence of Western clothing on foreign students’ style and every day wear. I would like to focus this week’s topic on Japanese fashion in particular, as one of my favorite streetwear brands, BAPE, originated in Japan.

A Bathing Ape (BAPE) was founded in 1993 by Nigo it’s creative director and designer in the Harajuku area of Shibuya in Tokyo. Bape specializes in urban street wear and is now one of the most major players in the streetwear world with some of their original clothing being sold for thousands of dollars. Bape is known for their iconic camo print which has been plastered on not only clothing but on items so peculiar such as tissue boxes, playing cards, and fishing hooks. Bape is also known for their full zip up shark hoodie which is very prominent in rap culture being worn by artists such as Kanye West and ASAP Rocky.  I continue to buy pieces from Bape and am always eager to check out their new line of clothing. Bape was a major influence in Japan’s evolution toward street fashion and has helped shape the current style that is known in Japan today.

nigo-and-pharrell-london

bape-camo-tissues

bape-camo-umbrella

clothing-1

bape-camo-shark-hoody-asap-rocky-goldie

Personally, Japanese Fashion is my favorite foreign fashion. I feel that most European clothing is too flashy and clean cut for my streetwear roots. Although Italy will always be known as the fashion powerhouse as clothing brands such as Prada, Gucci, and Louis Vuitton originated in Italy. However in the recent years Japan has really taken street fashion and made it their own, using skinny jeans and different prints to dress in a bold, stylish manner. One of the most basic outfits you will see around campus from a Japanese student during theses cold winter months will be skinny jeans or joggers, running shoes (usually Asics or New Balance), and a big puffy coat. This makes for a warm stylish outfit and I have seen large groups of Japanese students outside talking all wearing this same exact thing.

japan-fashion-for-men-3

tumblr_m8fdrx7uRZ1qfvrzvo1_1280

I suggest you always look at what people are wearing around you. Not in a judging manner but for influence. Always be open to new ideas and clothing that you can make your own. We are very lucky to have such a wide variety of culture here at Penn State so take advantage of that fact and pay attention to what the people around you have on.

4 responses to “Japanese Fashion

1. This is an interesting look at another culture’s fashion. I have noticed certain fashion styles being worn by people of certain ethnicities, and this was an interesting confirmation to my observations.

2. Mike Shanley

I always think it’s fun to hear about the wacky new fashions that Japan usually churns out. It’s nice to read about the actual fashionable fashions that Japan is responsible for too!

3. Michael Rothermel

I have never heard of BAPE before but it seems interesting. I might have to snag myself a pair of camo pants or something to try it out.

4. Heather Francis

I like the fact that your blog influences people to notice others fashion around them. Not only does it give you ideas to play off of, it also helps you develop your own style and sense. I’ve seen some crazy styles on some people, though I really like the japanese fashion you’re talking about.
    Can’t wait to read the next post!