Sneezing in the sunlight

r1205782_15653447

Photo courtesy of http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/11/26/3896820.htm?site=science/drkarl&topic=health.

Something that has always appalled me for as long as I can remember is why I sneeze every time I step out into the sunlight.    In fact, I’m not the only one asking this question.  According to scientificamerican.com, Aristotle pondered the same strange occurrence in The Book of Problems asking, “Why does the heat of the sun provoke sneezing?” (Looking).

Turns out, we still don’t know.  In the 17th century, another curious English philosopher named Francis Bacon decided to step outside with his eyes closed in order to refute Aristotle’s idea that heat on the nose causes sneezing.  Bacon experienced heat on his nose, but he didn’t sneeze.    Now it was believed that when sunlight hit the eyes it caused the eyes to water which sent moisture into the nose and irritated it.

However, our current understanding of physiology makes this explanation impossible.  Our tear ducts are too slow and the sneeze happens too quickly.  Although we don’t have an exact answer to this pressing question, we have some sort of idea of what may cause sneezing in sunlight.  This sneezy sensation is termed photic sneeze reflex and today experts believe it may all be linked to the crossing of wires in the brain.

The most recent theory suggests that the trigeminal nerve, which causes you to sneeze, is accidentally triggered when the optic nerve, which is very close to the trigeminal nerve, is signaled, thus causing a sneeze.  The optic nerve pics up changes in lighting, which explains the suns role in photic sneeze reflex.

So why don’t we know more about this topic?  My guess is that this isn’t harmful to humans so there would be very little funding, or interest, to back up an experiment of this kind.

It looks like we’ll still be in the dark about the causation of photic sneeze reflex.  But until there’s a better answer, don’t forget your tissues on a sunny day.

“Looking at the Sun Can Trigger a Sneeze.” Scientific American Global RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Sept. 2014. <http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/looking-at-the-sun-can-trigger-a-sneeze/>.

5 thoughts on “Sneezing in the sunlight

1. Jordan David Unsworth

I’m glad I’m not the only one who was wondering about this! I have always looked into the sun when sneezing. Very cool and interesting post though!

2. Alison B Mamtsis

I never knew that sneezing in the sun was a common occurrence! I don’t think it’s ever happened to me before, but it’s interesting to think that it could be some sort of simple glitch in the body. I think that there isn’t much research on this because knowing the cause wouldn’t really help since it’s not a huge issue, I don’t think people who sneeze when they look at the sun feel strongly that they don’t want to sneeze when looking at the sun anymore. Another interesting thing i’ve always wanted to know about sneezing is why do some people sneeze like 20 times in a row, and others just once?

3. Max Cohen

Never really thought about this but it totally makes sense. When I’m outside i always look up to the sun when i sneeze. It’s cool how nerves in you eyes are connected to nerves in your nose.

4. Nicolas Scott Chambers

I was just thinking about this the other day when I was sneezing. I have always looked to the sun to sneeze. Initially it was because my mom told me to at a young age, but now that I know why it works.