Advocacy Project

I’ve officially decided to stick with a poster board. I feel that it is relatively simple and I won’t have to worry about not being able to leave it there all day. I was thinking about a traditional three-fold poster, like the ones you may have used for a science fair. In the center, since my topic was about shortening the workweek, I figured I’d put how people can take action to implement such a thing. I considered talking about OSHA and education boards and how a person could very easily create a petition in order to bring light to the situation. On one of the outside flaps, I was considering getting interviews from students, teachers, and parents/adults on their thoughts about shortening the workweek or leaving it as it is. And then on the last flap I was going to just list the pros of shortening the workweek. I would use this as a push to get the audience thinking about why they might want a shorter work week. Surprisingly enough, there is a method to my madness. The pros list will be on the left, so hopefully people will see that first. This will get them thinking. Then they should (I’ll try to make it evident with the poster that there is a process to follow on looking at the board) look to the right flap and see their peers opinions on it,again to stimulate some thoughts on the issue. And then in the middle, they will see that they actually can make a difference if they put their minds to it! I was also considering doing like, mini-handouts with information on how to reach out to employers or school boards, with some tips (from me of course) on how to go about changing the length of their work week. This might sound confusing, but it makes sense in my head. So hopefully I can get some neat crafts to make the poster stand out. And what will be on it will be interesting to draw people in and get them thinking. If anyone has any more ideas they’d be greatly appreciated!