Behaviorism

Behaviorism was a concept from the 1920’s which emphasized the scientific analysis of observable behaviors by saying that mental events are triggered by external stimuli which lead to behavior. This theory of stimulus and response then lead to the reward and punishment method. Even now that method is used. My mother recently finished her master’s degree in psychology with an emphasis on applied behavioral analysis. She works for an agency that provides services for children with behavioral issues. Some of these kids include developmentally delayed kids, and autism. My brother has high functioning autism, which means that he seems like a normal kid until you turn on a vacuum cleaner, or put him into a crowd of people.

My mother writes behavioral plans for students at several schools in Vermont, and with that she is also teaching me how to work with my brother better. She uses the reward system, because it has been statistically shown that it is more effective and less damaging in the long run. The punishment method may work temporarily, but it also leaves the possibility of traumatizing that child. Behavior isn’t only subject to change by punishment and reward, though. It can change through visual aids and other positive stimuli. My mother’s thesis is about using visual aids as an intervention to train a child with a severe disability to complete daily living skills and maintaining these skills with the visuals in place. (for further information:http://pqdtopen.proquest.com/doc/1458439106.html?FMT=AI&pubnum=1546517) I have seen this type of plan, combined with a reward system work. The summer  of 2012, my mother created a table that had Velcro on it and then there were small pictures that could be attached to this table. We would put pictures in order like so: a picture of brushing teeth, then a picture of putting on clothes, then a  picture of putting on shoes, then a picture of going to school. These pictures helped him know what to do, at what time. After each task was completed, he would receive a fake laminated dollar. At the end he could “cash in” these fake dollars for a reward like a toy or time to play a video game.

My mother and I have worked together to help my brother, and she is teaching me new ways of approach every day. Since I have two other brothers, I would sometimes forget that I cannot talk or play the same way with them as I can with John (real names will not be disclosed). Many times, you can just explain to a child why running in the road is not okay and then they will understand and not do that again, but with children who need support with their behavior, sometimes it takes more than sitting them down and explaining something. With John we have gotten to the point where most things can be explained to him, which is good, but sometimes other methods must be used. The point of all this, is that the reward method of behaviorism is the most effective and that it actually works, but there are also other methods that can be used to change behavior.

One thought on “Behaviorism

1. Deanna Blake Nagle

I definitely agree with you that positive stimuli are more effective and less damaging than negative stimuli. In my experience my mother would use negative stimuli to get me to make my bed. Though it was effective and I still do make my bed to this day (even though I don’t actually want to), it definitely was the source of many arguments I have had with my mother as a child. I find it really interesting how your mother thesis is about other ways to teach behavior!