Passion Blog- Miracle on Ice

This blog post is about a hockey player’s view of the famous “Miracle on Ice” in 1980. During this time the USA wasn’t doing so great, there was war and violence everywhere. The Soviet Union’s government and the USA’s government were not on very good terms to say the least. The rivalry between the two countries did not stop just at government and leadership, it also came into hockey.

The Soviet Union were known as a hockey dynasty during the 1980s. They had won gold the last three olympics in Ice Hockey. To compare the teams in 1980, the Russian team had players who had played together for more than 30 years, where the USA team was a bunch of college kids that tried out for the team just months before the Olympic games. Herb Brooks, the coach of the USA hockey team had a very different process in picking the athletes he wanted on his team. “I’m not looking for the best players, I’m looking for the right ones” is a famous quote from the movie, based on the true story.

I was fortunate enough to meet the famous starting Russian goalie, thought to be impossible to score one, Vladislav Aleksandrovich Tretiak, while I was in Russia. During the game he ended up being pulled after the first because of a late goal scored by the USA. He was not as bitter as I thought he would be when I had the chance to talk to him about his defeat. He believed it was a good lesson for the Russian team, that not even they were invincible.

I am also a friend of a player on the USA 1980 Olympic team, Mike Ramsey. He is the father of Rachel Ramsey, who now plays for the Minnesota Gophers, but played with me during our high school careers. He also believes that the 1980 US victory was a good lesson for everyone.

This game meant more than winning a medal to showcase. It was a war through sports between the two countries. In my opinion sports are a nonviolent, for the most part, way of sizing up and comparing countries. With all the misery the USA needed something to cheer for, and the men on the 1980 Olympic Team gave them just that. The win over the dynasty Russian team was something the USA could be proud of. Against all odds they beat the team that seemed unbeatable, and gave the US hope for the future.

As a hockey player this story gives me the chills every time it comes up. I feel so honored to be a part of a sport that gave my country hope when it needed it most. The story shows people that anything is possible when you work your hardest and to never give up on your goal. Always believe in yourself and never let anyone tell you that you can’t do something.

I am going to leave you with one of my favorite quotes, one that reminds me of the “Miracle on Ice”

“Hard work beats talent, when talent fails to work hard” -Taras Brown

2 thoughts on “Passion Blog- Miracle on Ice

1. Boyoung Kim

I LOVE THIS MOVIE. I used to memorize the speech for my teammates and for my friends’ games.
    It is awesome that you’ve met the Russian goalie and your friend’s dad was on the USA team. Wow.
    It is interesting that you asked the Russian goalie about the game. Watching the movie, I am just so inspired by the USA victory that I have never ever thought about the reaction from the Russian side.
    Does your friend’s dad talk about it a lot? Is your friend good at hockey?
    I love this blog!

2. Jimmy Frisbie

I am quite jealous of your connections! I absolutely love that movie — I cannot even begin to imagine the pressure these players must have faced during this game. My adrenaline starts going just thinking about it! I would love to talk to them about their mentality going into that game. I admire every player from both teams. In such a tense time, it must have certainly been an insane environment.