Problem Solving

Problem solving is an important component in everyday life. Some may be simple to solve, others may take some time. Similarly to an example provided in the book, one of the biggest problems that recently occurred is deciding on which graduate school I want to attend and in what city. Considering, I’ve never lived away from home, this has become one problem that will need to be resolved and become a reality. A problem is defined as an obstacle that occurs between a present state and goal, yet it is not obvious to handle the obstacle (Goldstein, 2011). Frankly, I’m uncertain as to how I am going to accomplishing narrowing down my options and, ultimately deciding on a graduate school to attend.

Problems are classified into two different types: well-defined and ill-defined. Well-defined problems have a correct answer. When applied correctly, the procedure will lead to solution and/or correct answers; whereas, ill-defined problems are those that occur in every-day life and does not necessarily have a final answer. Furthermore, the solution and path is unclear (Goldstein, 2011). The example provided, which graduate school to attend, can be a well-defined problem because a career path is known and present; there will be certain procedures taken and will concluded to a solution that fits best. Well-defined problems have been researched by psychologists. Therefore, there are methods to solving well-defined problems.

Gestalt psychologists identify two factors to resolve problem solving: the representation of the problem in one’s mind and how solving a problem consists of a reorganization and restructuring of the representation (Goldstein, 2011). Many approach looking into graduate schools differently. This demonstrates how we perceive the problem in the mind. For example, there are certain criteria that are being looked into, like which school has the overall best program or admissions requirement; these factors may not appeal to all individuals specifically those looking to join an athletic program. Furthermore, restricting a problem involves insight, sudden realization of a problem’s solution (Goldstein, 2011). A critical element leads to the overall solution of the problem. Those solving their problem tend to experience insight because solutions occur suddenly (Goldstein, 2011). Although Gestalt psychologists apply insight to well-defined problems, insight appears to apply more to ill-defined problems. I would imagine every-day, life problems. A well-defined problem seems to be solved with care and as the text describes an all of the sudden solution as an “Aha!” moment, it would be difficult to apply insight to a well-defined problem.

As problems are presented in life, there are strategies in solving these problems. Generate-and-test, means-end analysis, and working backward are domain-independent strategies that can easily be applied to every-day problems. Generate-and-test techniques consist of providing numerous solutions then testing to see if they are successful. For example, college visits can solve the problem of which college to attend. Comparing goals with a starting point, closing the distance, and ultimately choosing the best path is a means-end analysis. Working backwards is the problem solving strategy I tend to use the most; starting at the goal wanting to be achieved and working step-by-step backwards until the goal is reached. Working backwards is opposite of means-end analysis, which leads to the ultimate goal. For example, as I’m looking into graduate programs, I have set an ultimate goal that’s to be achieved. Since I have yet to achieve the goal, I’m taking each step to reach the ultimate goal. Working backwards is most effective and is more efficient (Pennsylvania State University, 2014). We can apply problems to every-day life, whether they are minimal like what to wear for the day or solving a complex physics problems. Similarly to previous lessons, problems are associated with the mind. In order to solve our problems, individuals must know how the problem is represented in the mind.

Goldstein, B. (2011). Cognitive Psychology: Connecting Mind, Research and Everyday Experience, 3rd Edition.Wadsworth, Inc.

The Pennsylvania State University (2014). Commentary. Lesson 13: Problem Solving. Retrieved from https://courses.worldcampus.psu.edu/sp14/psych256/001/content/14_lesson/10_page.html