The Male Contraceptive?

It seems that with the availability of contraceptives to college students unintended pregnancy should be a fear of the past. However we all know that there are still many factors involved with safe sex that can go awry and lead to difficult decisions. Condoms are still the number one form of birth control used by students. Yet they can be ineffective due to ripping, slipping, or expiration. Many women decide to take further precaution and go on the birth control pill but unfortunately there is still a high risk of  forgetting to take a pill or taking them incorrectly. Many men have claimed that if there were a male version of the pill they would take it. Well it seems that this day may soon come,  not in the form of a pill, but a one time injection to the penis. Sounds scary I know but not as scary as an unplanned pregnancy.

scared monkey face

RISUG (which is an acronym for “Reversible Inhibition of Sperm Under Guidance”) is similar to vasectomy but with several advantages, the most significant being that it is more reversible. Researchers achieve this feature by injecting a polymer (a gel) into the vas deferens, rather than cutting the vas (as is done in vasectomy). If a man wishes to restore fertility, whether after months or years, the polymer is flushed out of the vas with another injection.

This injection has already had luck in India where clinical trials on men are already underway. The reason many of the men volunteered for the procedure instead of having their wives undergo female sterilization is “Male sterilization is simpler and safer. Why would anybody put his wife at risk?” It is already known that majority of female hormone supplements found in contraceptives aren’t exactly healthy for women as they have side affects like nausea, headaches, breast soreness, acne, decreased libido, depression, moodiness, weight gain. It seems that this drug may be a healthier option for those in committed relationships seeing as there have been no such adverse side affects on its users.

love couple

This drug seems to be very effective in its trials on both animals and humans, yet it is still in very early stages of development. Big pharmaceutical companies block majority of its efforts due to the fact that this injection has the potential to dramatically decrease the amount of people buying monthly contraceptives and single use condoms. Why pay out of pocket week after week if there is a single solution? The Parsemus Foundation,which created the drug named Vasalgel, predicts that it will be available by 2017 but they urge the public to donate to their cause as these wish to sell the product cheaply so it may be available to all who wish it. I wonder if our generation of men would be willing to undergo such an invasive procedure in exchange for peace of mind in knowing that they are protected from unplanned pregnancy. I guess we will found out in a few years.

Source:

http://www.newmalecontraception.org/risug/

http://health.howstuffworks.com/sexual-health/contraception/birth-control-pill3.htm

3 thoughts on “The Male Contraceptive?

1. Valerie Ortense

This is very interesting. I have always wondered if there are other ways to prevent unwanted pregnancy. I mean, of things scientists are capable of these days, why not find out if there is a way to stop the men from getting women pregnant. It is their fault anyway. Without men, birth control would be arbitrary haha. (Just kidding)

However, I am going to look further into this. Like any new drug on the market, or new phone out for release, there is complication with the first batch; glitches, slow service, hair loss/gain; the list is endless. Something like this needs serious testing to ensure no long term damage. I am still waiting for a breaking news story stating that birth control has just recently been tested for causing the newest life threatening disease and who ever has been taking it is now in serious danger. That’s usually the case.

But all in all, great topic. I wil be having my boyfriend read this later.

2. Marian Olivia Joy Mullen

This is a very interesting development. I’m pretty sure if this were available now it would be a huge success. But just like everything, theres always going to be a slight risk. I wonder what the side effects would be, and what the percentage of it not wiring would be. Otherwise this sounds like a pretty awesome alternative regular contraceptives.

3. Olivia Diane Talbot

Theres not a doubt in my mind that I would suggest this to my boyfriend or husband. I HATE taking birth control because of the way it makes me feel. I feel sick an hour after i take it, and I am always hungry on it (I don’t mind the hunger that much though). What are the side effects to this thought? I know a lot of birth controls have negative side effects for woman… what are they for men?