Does homework cause decreased motivation?

No one loves to do homework, especially at a young age. Teachers assign homework to their students to increase theirMP9003089533 knowledge in a subject and to instill good studying habits.

I can remember getting my first homework assignment in second grade, and each year receiving increased amounts. I can remember feeling overwhelmed in middle school when I would receive thirty minutes of homework from each class I took. These assignments were meant to make me a better student but, can too much of it cause students to become less motivated? According to professor of education and international affairs Gerald LeTendre the answer is yes. “Too much of anything can be harmful.” says LeTendre. According to LeTendre, students receiving large amounts of homework at an early age will become distraught and feel as though they can not do anything to understand the material they are receiving, bad grades usually follow once students begin to feel overwhelmed and once they receive these grades out the window goes their motivation.

Think about it like this. Lets say a seventh grade student is receiving thirty minutes of homework a night. He has more than enough time to thoroughly do all of his assignments and still spend valuable time with his family. He does not get overwhelmed and he feels motivated to do his homework each and every night because he knows he can handle it.

On the other hand lets say the same student receives two hours of homework. This student, feeling rushed to do everything, may have trouble figuring out how to solve some problems and give up. But, he has spent all this time doing his homework leaving him with a little time to spend with his family. Since he did not complete said homework he receives a poor grade. This student will lose his motivation because he will not see a reason to do his homework if he doesn’t have the time.

LeTendre’s research states that students should not receive homework until after second grade. He then says that students should then receive homework in ten minute increments as they move up a grade. So, in third grade students should receive ten minutes a night, in fourth twenty, fifth thirty, and so on until they graduate.

I believe that LeTendre’s reasoning behind this is that he believes that students minds should expand in relation to their grade in school. By doing this students are not going to feel overwhelmed. This strategy of giving homework would also allow students the opportunity to have some free time while they are younger, which LeTendre states is important.

Based on my readings on LeTendre’s research and findings I can say that the amount of homework a student receives at a young age affects motivation.

http://news.psu.edu/story/141247/2009/08/31/research/probing-question-homework-bad-kids

http://www.ed.psu.edu/eps/faculty-bios/edthp/gerald-letendre

http://www.holmeslibrary.org/departments/reference-services/homework-help/

3 thoughts on “Does homework cause decreased motivation?

1. Jordan David Unsworth

I agree with Justin as well. I think the earlier we start doing homework the easier it will be for everyone as they progress with their education. Also I think teachers in elementary schools need to read this article! Very cool post though.

2. Nicolas Scott Chambers Post author

Good point, Justin. I think what LeTendre is saying is that he believes that time spent with family and friends at that age is more important in developing a child’s brain that homework is. I agree with what you are saying and what LeTendre says. But in my opinion I think the bare minimum of homework is appropriate for a young student.

3. Justin Fernandez

I disagree with Letendre’s philosophy that kids should not receive homework before the second grade. Although we all hate homework, the work at that age does not have to be that challenging. The homework should at least keep the kids brain active so that it can be strong. Homework also teaches a person a sense of responsibility.