Sex in daily media.

imgres
After seeing this title, aren’t you feel little confused “why this article can be here? Is sex a kind of science?” don’t take it wrong however, the sex I talked here is not the truly one but the sex in media around us. Seeing a recent content analysis, over 300 scenes in popular pornographic videos, there’s nearly 50% contained name-calling, which counted as verbal aggression, and about 88% of it contained physical aggression. Being involved in this media environment, we can see them everyday; we can be concluded or be attracted by medias with sex components without even noticing it. And sometimes, the influence the sex component brought to us is upon our imagination.
Viewing this topic, there are always two different main thoughts about the influence of the sex media exist. One of them called “the trigger hypothesis” and the other one is named “safety valve theory” according to the second one, some scientists considered sexually explicit materials as a tool of blowing off. Researchers holding this thought believe that watching pornography (refer to almost any explicit depiction) will satisfy whatever urges might cause a person to commit a sex crime. And if this is a correct or false positive (we say A exist, but A is actually not) answer, then we might be able to see a decrease in sex crimes in society that have already availability to those materials. Standing in the opposite side, “the trigger hypothesis” claims that some individuals would response to sexually explicit materials in such a way that it may lead to a sex crime like a rape or incident exposure.
Responding to those two main theories, one researcher named Berl Kutchinsky reveals that the decrease in sex crimes may attribute to one fact that the public attitudes become more and more lenient these days, and one truth about the going on situation across countries, is that the incidence of rape does not decrease when pornography is allowed to flow freely. So in here, although the safety value theory makes some sense, it’s still an existence of mundane realism (things that don’t match situations encountered outside the laboratory). Compared to that, the trigger hypothesis is more useful in real world. Here’s a experimental research named “ the electric shock paradigm”, which support the trigger theory properly. If any one is interest in more information, Google will tell you this story better than I did!

Citation:
Introduction to Media effects Glenn G. Sparks (January 1,2012) Cengage Learning; 4 edition.

5 thoughts on “Sex in daily media.

1. Dana Rose Riley

I agree with those who have left comments before. Although this is very interesting and completely relevant in today’s society there are no studies that back up this claim.

2. Lauren Marie Freid

I agree with the other three people who commented on this blog. You stated and talked about the two theories (trigger hypothesis and safety value theory), but never talked about how these two conclusions correlated to your conclusion. Also, are there any studies to back up the theory that watching pornography directly reduces sex crimes? This could be due to chance, just like many other things, but is there any type of research that supports this theory? I may be wrong, but I agree with Aleksandra that watching pornography would urge people to possibly perform more sexual crimes because their hormones are everywhere. However, it also could prevent sexual crimes too, but it all depends on the individual and their personality. The link below states that watching pornography both reduces and increases the number of sexual crimes. The police have found that sexual offenders have all watched pornography though. Take a look below!

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/28803/title/Porn–Good-for-us-/

3. Aleksandra Eva Kolliopoulos

Both of the hypothesis’ you have stated are very interesting, but are there any specific research studies or facts that can prove them or back them up? It would be beneficial if viewing pornography would result in a decrease of sexual assaults, but personally, I would think it would do just the opposite and create an urge for people to blow off their sexual steam. Some sort of research study or experiment to support your conclusion would help persuade me.

4. Dutt Patel

Have researchers actually done the experiment about the correlation of watching pornography and reduction of sex crimes? You have stated it, but have not referred to an experiment, or study which has proven this fact. I would think such explicit material would increase sexual assaults, rather than decreases. What conclusion have you come to about it though?

5. Colin Patrick Mcknight

I’m a little confused as to how the two theories you stated seem to correlate to your conclusion are there any studies to back these claims up? The post was interesting just a little vague in supporting evidence for your claims.