Why Does Alcohol Make Us Drunk?

snooki-getting-drunk

Considering most of the class is compiled of freshman, college is a new experience for us. We all hear different comments about it through older friends or family members, but never knew what to expect until now; now that we are all enrolled college students. Different rumors spread about partying, classes, amount of time studying, etc. However, with all of these different categories to choose from, most parents seem to be concerned with drinking and partying. They assume for the most part that their child does not know his or her limits when it comes to consuming alcohol. There are stories on the news or passed around about kids newly introduced to college who die from alcohol poisoning. Parents just hope that doesn’t happen to their children as they release them on their own in college.

We all know after drinking enough alcohol we become physically impaired, but why? We drink plenty of things that are harmful to us, soda for example, and do not get drunk. We can even mix countless non-alcoholic drinks and feel perfectly fine even though their ingredients, which may or may not be healthy. So, what exactly is it in alcohol that poisons us and causes us to become drunk? Well, the main component is ethanol, which is what does all of the harm to our body. In an article from themolecularcircus.wordpress.com, Katie Lase states, “in short it tries to sloooooow your brain down… The actual effects that you feel alcohol having depends on which part of the brain is being slowed down, and of course the more alcohol you have in your blood, the more areas of the brain it can get to. It usually starts in the cerebral cortex, which is the region of your brain mainly responsible for cognitive thinking, behavior, and voluntary muscle movements. Slowing things down here means your brain processes information that it receives more slowly, this might mean you feel less sensitive to touch, or to pain.” She also mentions how alcohol affects other parts of the brain, so feel free to read more about it here if you’re interested.

Basically, when the alcohol makes its way to each portion of the brain, different functions are affected, such as emotions or your thinking process just to name a few. While alcohol also affects many other parts of the human body, such as the liver and stomach, and causes other health risks, the 20% that enters your blood stream and travels to your brain is what makes you drunk. Maybe if there was a bay the alcohol did not enter out blood stream or affect the different parts of our brain we would not come home drunk after a night of drinking, but that is the science of it and how it impairs us.

wine

4 thoughts on “Why Does Alcohol Make Us Drunk?

1. Rob Buckley

Great blog and topic. I think all us freshmen could agree drinking age of 21 is too high. How is it that an 18 year old can risk their life and fight for our country but can’t drink a beer? With many reasons why or why not the age should be changed this blog does have many insightful reasons for this. But a huge factor for me is kids knowing their bodies and how alcohol effects you. Being young and thrown into the life of college with partying everywhere it is easy to over indulge if you aren’t used to it. This site has much information regarding how alcohol effects you. http://www.healthline.com/health/alcohol/effects-on-body

2. oob5040

I agree with Both individuals who commented on this blog post, the drinking age is ridiculously high. i think you would find this website interesting. It has debates on why the drinking age should or shouldn’t be lowered. In my experience alcohol poisoning occurs for many reasons. However, i believe if young adults start drinking under their parents roof they might get into less trouble and would probably learn how to control their alcohol intake.

3. Natalia Paternina

Cool blog post! I agree with the other person who commented, I’m from Colombia and we have the same legal drinking age there, as well as a similar outlook on the situation. I thought it was interesting how you found out how exactly people get drunk, and why. I found more information about it online, if you’re interested!

4. Jose Ignacio Arango De Diego

In my opinion, the various cases of alcohol intoxication in freshmen college students is due to the legal age of consuming alcohol in the United States. I come from Panama, were the legal age to consume and purchase alcohol is 18. It is also part of our culture to start drinking at a young age with our parents. They believe that learning to drink is a responsibility all parents should care of. Knowing our limits for example. Because of this, many kids that have never had a single sip of alcohol in their whole lives come to college and have a bad experience due to not having enough maturity and responsibility of consuming such a dangerous drug. Yes, alcohol is considered a depressant because of what you said that it slows the function of the central nervous system. I really liked your blog.