Is social media ruining our livelihood?

I’ll admit it: I am 100% obsessed with my i-phone. I feel completely empty without it. Even when I temporarily misplace the device, it feels like the end of the world is near. Having the gadget conveniently in my back pocket at all times provides an instantaneous accessibility to various social media apps such as snapchat, instagram, and facebook. Along with the ability to text message, call, and facetime others. However, I’ve began to ponder the possible negative consequences of partaking in this technology driven environment, especially for adolescents, who are naturally more prone to depression and anxiety as they mature into adulthood. I’m sure we’ve all seen movies or heard our grandparents rants about the “good ol’ days”, when teens communicated with one another solely in person. Technology in the 21st century has completely eliminated the face to face interaction people in the past were once subjected to, and a growing number of studies suggests there are negative consequences to it.

In this particular study, researchers asked 467 teens about their social media usage during the day and nighttime hours. The tests also sought to examine the participants sleep quality, self esteem, anxiety, and depression levels. A big question examined in the study was if the participants felt the need to be readily available 24/7. As I mentioned before, I constantly have my phone by my side, and even sleep right next to the device while it’s charging. This concept can be referred to as FoMo, or fear of missing out, especially when it comes to social media. It would be practically devastating to miss out on a social gathering with friends, or a “dinner date” with members of my sorority.

iphone

The study concluded that there’s most likely a causal relationship between the amount of time one spends on social media, and side effects such as decreased sleep, low self-esteem, anxiety, and depression in the participants. However, those who utilized social media prior to bedtime were at an increased risk. Cleland Woods, head of the study claims, “ The teenage years can be a time of increased vulnerability to depression and anxiety, and sleeping poorly may contribute to the risk of these conditions. Also, research is increasingly suggesting that there is a link between the use of social media and overall feelings of well-being, particularly in adolescents”.

depression

Countless similar studies have linked social media usage in teens to traits of schizophrenia, depression, and overall poor mental health. Although the results of the study are clear, researchers and physicians are not advocating for an elimination in technology usage all together. Cleland Woods promotes a “digital sunset” approach for families, where the family as a whole turns off their devices a couple hours before bed and throughout the night. More information on Dr. Woods concept on technology can be found here.

Obviously, technology is an ever present component to our lives, and the positive aspects greatly outweigh the negative ones. Everything is good in moderation, and I for one will continue to scroll through my social media feed on a device that connects me to the world. However, I hope to decrease the amount of time I waste staring at my iphone screen!

2 thoughts on “Is social media ruining our livelihood?

1. Rebecca Danielle Schneider

I immediately connected to your blog topic and I liked your honesty right from the beginning! I like how you touched upon the concept of “fomo” which non-teenagers are not familiar with it. This is a very good observation: teenagers are hooked to their iPhones because they have a “fear of missing out.” I agree that although technology is taking a large toll on our society, that isn’t necessarily going to stop me from using my iPhone, but it is definitely important to be conscientious of how much time I spend using it and focus more on the people and places around me. My parents hate when phones are used at dinner and I can see where they’re coming from and why it’s a good idea to cut back sometimes.