Chewing Gum

Chewing gum is a natural habit that most humans have. We use it for better breath or just to have something in our mouth. Personally I chew gum at least once a day and if I don’t I crave it. I am a fan of 5 gum because it is sugar free, has a long lasting taste, and has good flavors. But what is the gum really doing to my teeth and my gums?

According to the ADA, American Dental Association , chewing gum increases the flow of saliva in the mouth. With the more saliva in the mouth it helps break down and gets rid of the acids that causes decay and plaque in the teeth. “Clinical studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes following meals can help prevent tooth decay” (ADA).

On the other hand The Health Wyze Report says that gum is a toxic and dangerous product. It says that Titanium dioxide is a typical ingredient that goes into gum and it is highly cancerous. When we chew gum the ingredients go directly into our bloodstream because the gum is touching the walls of the mouth. Health Wyze Report People like me typically go for the sugar free gum, but this source says that because they aren’t directly using sugar, they are using processed chemicals, which could cause weight gain or inflammation or serious stomach and immune system problems.

According to Dental Health dental erosion is defined as the loss of tooth enamel caused by acid attack. Enamel is very important because it is the coating that protects us from cavities and other tooth pain and sensitivity. When we have problems with our teeth it is typically due to dental erosion, which is caused by citruses, fizzy drinks, and sugary food and drinks. All of those things destroy the enamel that protect our teeth. Dental Health States that “chewing sugar free gum for 20 minutes after eating or drinking can increase the flow of saliva, and help replace the minerals more quickly” (Dental Health).

This picture shows how enamel on our teeth are at risk because of the bad acids in the things we put in our mouth. Then it measures the amount of time it takes for the acid level to go back to normal after eating. The acid level is measured in pH. This shows that putting sugar free gum in to the mouth after eating lowers the acid level in the mouth helping fight dental erosion and helps protect the enamel.

Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 5.30.14 PM

I researched both sides of the argument and I think that chewing sugar free gum is good and helps us protect our teeth from future problems. The most important thing to know is that gum is not a replacement for proper dental care such as brushing teeth, dental floss, and mouth washing, The other thing to know is that sugar free gum is okay to have after a meal and that sugary gum is really bad for the teeth.

4 thoughts on “Chewing Gum

1. Mia Rose Del Nunzio

I am someone who chews an absurd amount of gum. However, I never really knew how my gum chewing problem was affecting my teeth and gums. I gained valuable information from reading your blog and was very surprised by the information provided by The Health Wyze Report. I liked how you summed up your argument and did your research to conclude that the gum that we are chewing is doing more good than harm. You might want to check out this link on the 8 best chewing gums, according to eatclean.com: http://www.eatclean.com/products/clean-gum-brands Nice job!

2. Millie Rachel Dweck

In terms of your research, I agree with you. I think Health Wyze’s argument is exasperated. A 5 calorie piece of chewing gum is not going to make you gain weight unless you have packs a day! But as a whole, I do not think chewing gum is good for you. Personally, I cannot chew gum because it is bad for my TMJ, and it also gives me headaches. This Link further explains how chewing gum is bad for your jaw! I really enjoyed your blog! It was a really interesting topic!

3. David Tyler Bond

I knew there were benefits of chewing gum but I never knew that it could be toxic and contains a chemical that is cancerous until I read this blog. I knew that chewing gum is good for your teeth and it can improve your concentration. Some dentists advocate chewing gum because it helps prevent tooth decay, like you said. I remember in elementary school when we took standardized tests, the teacher would let us chew gum during the test because it could increase concentration. Check out this article.

4. John Zabinski

I have often heard that it is good for us to chew gum to keep our teeth strong due to the increased saliva but I had never heard that there had been claims that it could be toxic! It was a very interesting blog and will definitely give me reason to continue chewing gum (even though that wont be a tough thing to do). It is also interesting that chewing gum has been studied for its other benefits like better memory and performance as explained in this NBC Article.