Athletics and Academics

Growing up playing sports, I noticed a trend. After taking my junior year off from football, my grades dropped significantly. When I rejoined the team senior year, my grades rose back up to where they were. I always thought it was odd, especially since football was such a big time commitment. After researching this topic, I’ve found that maybe I’m not alone.

Professors from The University of South Carolina and Penn State University did an observational study on 9,700 high school students (age 14-18). They studied the link between GPA and various different extracurricular activities. The extracurricular that had the most consistent and significant data showing a correlation between that and higher GPA was team sports. A similar Michigan State University study showed that high school athletes did roughly 10% better in core subjects than non-athletes.5844020

Since these are observational studies, they are very susceptible to third variables. For example, most schools have GPA requirements for athletes. As a result, the athletes could be feeling more pressure to do better in school. Athletes also could be getting better treatment from teachers, especially in schools where sports play a huge role. It is very common for athletes to receive extra help from teachers, coaches and other players with their schoolwork. Since these are observational studies, we have to think about the possibility of chance. I think it is safe to say, however, that the sample size is large enough to rule out chance as a viable option for the results. I think applying this data to all demographics will get similar, but less significant results. For example, wealthy kids in urban prep schools tend to be very involved in the arts and could surpass the athletes in academics. In a rural area of South Dakota or a poor area of major city, sports could teach students about determination and work ethic, resulting in better grades. I believe that this data is credible, not necessarily in saying that athletes far surpass non-athletes in academics, but that team sports help kids with their schoolwork.

It’s hard to know exactly what about team sports leads to a higher GPA. There are several possible mechanisms for this. Some may argue that sports take time away from studies and cause students to do worse in school. To counter, sports teach kids good time management skills. Team sports give students more structure in their lives, which we can assume helps their study habits by leaving less time to procrastinate. There is no data to support this, but the only foreseeable way to test this is through a survey, which leaves the possibility for false negatives and positives. There is also a possibility that perhaps athletes are predetermined to think differently and have more drive and determination. This would make sense because of the competitive nature of athletes. An observational study published in the American College of Sports Medicine showed that athletes were significantly more focused and were better tactical thinkers when using a simulator for crossing the street in traffic. Their physical fitness played no role in the study as all participants moved at the same speed. They were significantly better at reading patterns and predicting where the cars would come from compared to the non-athletes. This higher ability to read patterns could definitely correlate with a better understanding of subjects like math. A third possibility is the psychological aspect behind team sports. Looking at Maslow’s hierarchy of needs (seen below), people can’t reach their full potential until their “social” needs are met. Being part of a team and working towards a common goal develops maslow_trianglefriendships and gives students a sense of belonging. As a result, students who are on a sports team could be more likely to reach their full potential not only in school, but also in life as a whole.

The only foreseeable counter argument that sports make students worse in school would have to do with concussions from contact sports. In an observational study published in the Journal of Pediatrics, researchers looked at roughly 350 students who had received concussions. Many reported a harder time concentrating in school after the concussion. This was more likely for students who had not completely recovered from their concussion and even more so for those who have received multiple concussions. It is possible, however, that they over-exaggerated their symptoms for the case of the study. They could have even under-exaggerated their symptoms. It’s hard to know, but it does make sense that multiple concussions can cause brain damage. In that case, sports could be worse for kids academically. As long as the correct precautions are taken regarding concussions, this variable should not affect the entire argument presented before.

Although we can’t prove that team sports lead to a higher GPA, the evidence combined with possible mechanisms is very convincing. It is widely known that team sports help kids with social skills and overall health, but now we can see that it could have promising cognitive effects.

4 thoughts on “Athletics and Academics

1. Michael Thomas

As someone who was an athlete in high school and transitioned to Army ROTC for 2 years during college, I can certainly agree with your claim. I always have seemed to perform better when I was always busy and on a schedule. Now that I am no longer in ROTC and having a lot more free time I notice myself slacking off more. Also there have been a lot of studies linking exercise to increased academic performance. So maybe athletes exercise more than the average joe leading to increased academic performance.

2. Colby Kranz

Really interesting blog post– Being a student athlete in high school and coming to penn state not playing a sport has been a tremendous adjustment. At first I thought that it would be beneficial considering I will have more time for academics, but as you pointed out, being on a team and having obligations teaches students time management skills. I think there are many third variables possible as you mentioned in the observational experiment because there are so many things that can interfere, such as the possibility of the student and his or her work ethics in general, those who have learning disabilities, and the type of sport of which he or she participates in. I think this is very interesting but it is definitely a subjective type of research in that results can fluctuate tremendously. However, after reading this I think you should take a look at this experiment that examines the issue at a closer look: http://dc.cod.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1370&context=essai
    Anyways- well done and very well written!

3. Michael Bliss

This post was very interesting and brought up points that I had never thought of before! I was interested in this topic, and I found an article located at http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/academics-college-athletes-vs-nonathletes-16678.html where the author of this article says that college athletes typically have a higher graduation rate compared to non-athletes, but they have a lower GPA than non-students. One possible third variable for this may be that students who were accepted into better colleges for athletics may not have been held to as high academic standards as non-athletes to gain admission. But the difference in graduation rates are significant. This source stated that the graduation rate of college athletes was 80%, while the rate for non-athletes was only 63%. This is a significant difference and could be caused by many factors.

4. las6099

This trend has a really interesting connection to psychology! I never thought about it that way. Even though it does seem strange that students with a huge time commitment tend to have higher GPAs, it does make sense if you take into consideration the possibility that the connection could be because of reverse causation. It is very much possible that the reason why there is a common relationship between high GPAs and involvement in sports and extracarricular activities is because students who care more about being well rounded end up caring more about their grades! Especially what you mentioned for athletes, if you are on a sports team that has a minimum GPA requirement, that is certainly an example of reverse causation.
    I see how this is a common correlation. Personally, I am someone who likes to have structure and a routine. I have found that I am more productive when I know exactly when I need to get things done by, for example if I had varsity practice from 3 to 8, I would know that I had to finish a good portion of my work beforehand to leave time to relax and not be up all night afterward. However, if I have the whole day off, I have always found myself in a rut with no real motivation to get things done. It definitely doesn’t sound like it makes a lot of sense, but take into consideration what you get done on Sundays (when you probably have no major commitments.) They don’t call it lazy Sunday for nothing!