Do we really need flu shots?

Flu shots are common around this time of year. Left and right, you see displays and posters encouraging you to not forget to get your flu shot. I have yet to get a flu shot this year and I have maybe only gotten one a couple times in the past, but I have never gotten the flu (knock on wood). With cold season approaching and the urge for flu shots increasing, I began to wonder if we really need to get flu shots.

flu1

Image from westvalleyurgentcare.com

Many argue and speculate that the medical industry often searches for profit rather than having the prime intention of healing people. It is highly recommended to get the flu vaccine every year. The flu vaccine is very controversial as many people are speculative of its necessity.

A study done in 2011 looked at data on the flu vaccine between the years 1967 and 2011, discovering that the flu vaccine was only about 60 percent effective in people aged 18-65. The Center for Disease control reported that deaths from the flu in a single flu season have varied from 3,000 to 49,000 people.

But, those who are at greatest risk for infection are the elderly and the majority of the deaths are in the older age group. The vaccine is said to only protect “about 2/3 of the people who take it.” Other factors that can determine who will catch the flu include age, immune system, and personal life.

Many people believe that getting the vaccine actually causes them to get the flu. But, it is impossible for the vaccine to cause the flu as it is made to prevent from it. Many people may believe they get the flu but actually catch another virus that is circulating. “An increasing number of researchers, academics and doctors are questioning the scientific basis for an influenza vaccine at all.”

Flu-vaccine

Image from eriklundquistmd.com

Many vaccines also include toxins making them risky. In a meta-analysis study it was discovered that on average, “one out of 100 adults that are vaccinated will get influenza symptoms compared to 2 out of 100 unvaccinated adults.” In determining whether to get the vaccine or not, these numbers are very close and getting vaccinated versus being unvaccinated have a small difference in risk. Many also push getting the vaccine to protect elders who are more susceptible to the virus as well as those with weaker immune systems to prevent them from catching the flu. Overall, it is for the sake of protecting the majority of people in the end by vaccinating everyone the can.

As college students, we live in an environment where we are more susceptible to various viruses and diseases. But, we also have stronger immune systems compared to other age groups. In the end, it is up to the individual to determine whether to receive the flu vaccine or not. When getting the vaccine, there is still a 40% chance of possibly catching the flu. One must way out the pros and cons of getting a flu shot to determine if it is in their favor. It is a controversial topic that must be left to the individual to decide if getting the vaccine is more risky than possibly getting the flu.

2 thoughts on “Do we really need flu shots?

1. Elyssa Paige Woods

This year I decided to get the flu shot due to the fact that we go to school with 40,000 people and lots of bacteria circulates the air. This was a hard decision though for me to decide to do because the last time I got the flu shot (when I was in fifth grade) I actually got the flu. One can still get the flu when they get the flue shot because of many reasons such as, “age and health of the person and the similarity between the viruses used to make the vaccine” and what bacteria is around the area in which you reside in. I is always a risk to get the vaccine so I am hoping it works out for me this year. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

2. Joseph Zaccaria

I found this to be pretty interesting, I just got a flu shot just a couple weeks ago (mainly because my Dr. was recommending it). I figured it would be a good idea to take the precautionary considering how many students go to Penn State and how likely it is for bacteria to spread. Even with the flu shot I still got sick just these past few days and I wouldn’t be surprised if having the flu shot didn’t really make that much of a difference but at the same time I will still get my flu shots just to play it safe.