Bed or Breakfast??

I had this problem throughout high school and now it followed me into college. I do not wake up in time to eat breakfast at all or I am just simply not hungry. I have noticed that after this habit was happening, I shortly became used to it. I would wake up before school and not be hungry at all. My parents tell me it’s bad and its the “Most important meal of the day!” but i question if it actually is.

In this article, it claims that there are numerous studies on children who eat breakfast appear to be thinner and that hunger affects “1 in 7 households” in America.  In another article I read it claimed that children who did not eat a good enough breakfast would end up with “metabolic syndrome 27 years later,” (2014).

Either eating breakfast could be a benefit and balance out one’s hunger throughout the day or it can make someone crave more food. In this article, it states that “18% of males and 13% of females skip breakfast between the ages of 35 and 54,” (2011).

We live in a society when rushing is part of everyday life. Whether it is rushing to class, a job, an appointment, etc. Numerous people tend to skip breakfast or eat a “mini breakfast” like a granola bar or just drink a coffee to wake up. There were numerous claims that it is understandable if one cannot eat right when he or she wakes up because according to this article , “Many of us are not hungry until a couple hours after awakening.”

However, there are also claims that different breakfasts change one’s hunger later in the day. For example, that previous article also claimed that if one eats “highly processed carbohydrates,” they will crave more food later on.

Remember when we took the SAT or the ACT and they gave little advice saying “you can drink coffee” or “should eat something before testing.” According to the American Dietetic Association, teens who eat breakfast will have improved concentration as well as better test grades.

Yes, indeed eating something in the morning will start your day off but I surely believe that one can continue his or her day without eating breakfast at all or a “mini breakfast.” Maybe breakfast does help someone throughout the day and maybe it really doesn’t. We will surely find out in the future if it really does make a big impact!

Carroll, Aaron E. “Sorry, There’s Nothing Magical About Breakfast.” The New York Times. The New York Times, 30 May 2016. Web. 16 Sept. 2016. <http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/24/upshot/sorry-theres-nothing-magical-about-breakfast.html?_r=0>.

Http://www.Facebook.com/DrRonaldHoffman. “Do You Really Need To Eat Breakfast?” Mindbodygreen. N.p., 05 Feb. 2014. Web. 16 Sept. 2016. <http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-12515/do-you-really-need-to-eat-breakfast.html>.

“4 Reasons Why You Should Never Skip Breakfast.” LiveScience. TechMedia Network, n.d. Web. 16 Sept. 2016. <http://www.livescience.com/39598-reasons-never-skip-breakfast.html>.

“Breakfast Backtrack: Maybe Skipping The Morning Meal Isn’t So Bad.” NPR. NPR, n.d. Web. 16 Sept. 2016. <http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/05/13/477794736/breakfast-blowback-maybe-skipping-the-morning-meal-isnt-so-bad>.
“5 Reasons Your Teen Needs Breakfast.” Www.eatright.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Sept. 2016. <http://www.eatright.org/resource/food/nutrition/healthy-eating/5-reasons-your-teen-needs-breakfast>.

9 thoughts on “Bed or Breakfast??

1. Randall Stansbury

I never ate breakfast in high school and I honestly didn’t see it as too much of a problem. I would snack throughout the day and at my high school we had lunch relatively early in the day. Then I came here and on Tuesdays and Thursdays I have classes back to back from 10:30 – 3. Now if you have ever tried to sit through three hour long classes with nothing in your stomach I HIGHLY discourage it. I realized that not eating breakfast would be a huge mistake for me here, especially since it affected my ability to focus in class and have enough energy to stay alert. I am proud to say that I now get out of bed early enough to either buy breakfast or eat a bowl of cereal in my dorm, and it has definitely been beneficial.

2. Kameron Villavicencio

I LOVE BREAKFAST SO MUCH. I wake up 20 minutes early if I need to so that I can make breakfast. I usually make double egg and avocado on a whole wheat bagel toasted with hot sauce. (Beat that Bagel Crust). I go to sleep looking forward to waking up and eating breakfast. I’m starting to sound like I’m applying to be a contestant on My 600 Lb Life. But anyway, I think that this is one of those things that varies from person to person. What you chose to put in your body is such a personal decision and everyone’s bodies are so unique. Sleep is definitely underrated however, and I think in a perfect world we could do both, but this is college and sometimes you have to choose.
    Here’s an article that isn’t so impressed by breakfast either.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/24/upshot/sorry-theres-nothing-magical-about-breakfast.html?_r=0

3. Jen Malespina

Personally, I have to eat breakfast or else I will spend my whole morning thinking about food, not being able to concentrate. However I find it interesting to see this from the perspective of someone who does not feel this way. I liked that in this post you allowed points from both sides in order to weigh out the pros and cons. Here is an article on the benefits to eating breakfast http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/16/health-benefits-breakfast_n_1968248.html

4. Erin Nicole Kemp

I noticed in high school when I started to eat breakfast I would in turn eat less throughout the day it was really surprising to me. I wouldn’t be as hungry at lunch, or have as big of a snack after school. Now, the commons makes it easy for me so I usually grab some French toast sticks after class, although that obviously isn’t healthy either.

5. Lauren Elizabeth Mcgonigle

I have just commented on a similar post about how I was never a morning person before coming to Penn State. This connects to your post because also, I never would eat breakfast and I could get through the day when I was in high school, but here that just does not work for me anymore. I would go to school and not eat until around 12:00 in the afternoon with no breakfast. Here, I have to eat at least something before attending my 8 and 9 AM classes and then again around 12 or 1. I will ask, is this an environmental factor that is making me change my habits or is it something biological? It would be interesting to see a survey of high school, college, and work level individuals and their breakfast consumption and work performance every day. I do agree with what every adult has been telling us for the past however many years that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” but I would also like to see some statistics for those who do not consume breakfast! Interesting article, makes me hungry! 🙂

6. Charlotte Anderson

I also am not a big breakfast eater, although when I do I love it. Many times I will wake up but will eat lunch food or something like that. Sometimes I am just not hungry in the mornings, I agree that breakfast is not the most important meal of the day.