The Loch Ness Monster!?

Here we are again folks, another sighting of the infamous Loch Ness Monster.

According to The Scotsman, warehouse worker and amateur photographer Ian Bremner has taken a photograph of what could be the most clear, convincing picture of the Loch Ness Monster, “Nessie”. A long serpent-like creature, Nessie is believed to have been seen as far back as 1933 and the image below is believed to resemble some of the most clearest,notable images of the creature.

ness

Loch Ness is a large freshwater lake located in the Scottish Highlands extending approximately 23 miles with an average depth of 433 feet.

In addition to Ian’s latest claim of the Loch Ness Monster, there have been five other reported sightings of the monster this year which is the highest reported sightings since 2002. Others refute that this picture realistically shows three seals playing in the water and nothing more.

According to the article, there have been 1081 recorded sightings of the Loch Ness Monster lurking in the water with this picture being the most recent and convincing evidence.

[1]

[2]

6 thoughts on “The Loch Ness Monster!?

1. Pedro de Mello

While I agree that cryptozoology is an interesting field, I can’t help but believe it has no place in today’s world. We are technologically capable of diving deep into the Mariana Trench, sending men to the Moon and powering whole countries for days on end solely on solar energy, so why can’t we find a living fossil in a 685 sq. mi. wide lake in Scotland?

It’s interesting to believe in chupacabras or sasquatches or whatever, but much like religion, it ends on belief itself. Cryptids are defined by being unseen (from Greek “kryptos”, meaning “to hide”), and if they can’t be observed, measured or studied in any way, I don’t think they have a place in modern science. Science is about knowing, and if a whole field is based on the unknown, it isn’t science.

2. Matthew O'Brien

I found it amusing to see this post because I was actually at Loch Ness about a month ago. I spent a few days in the Scottish highlands after visiting the capital and made a point to take a boat tour of the lake. Apart from being a very beautiful place, there is nothing really special about it. In fact it seems like the local residents were pretty tired of hearing about any kind of monster. They certainly enjoy profiting on the associated memorabilia though. For what it’s worth, I did not see any signs of a monster or life of any kind in that lake.

As far as science is concerned, there is absolutely no evidence to support the existence of a monster. I am not sure what more can even be said from a scientific standpoint with regards to this blog topic. The only scientific facts in this post were the dimensions of the lake…

3. Dana Corinne Pirrotta

I love Robert’s comment, lol. Are there seals in the Loch Ness? If there are, then I have to agree, it is totally some fun loving seals.
    I was fascinated with the Loch Ness monster as a kid, I remember always asking my parents if it was real after watching a documentary on it on the Discovery Channel.
    I think Robert has a pretty good point about being able to map the Loch Ness with our technology. We have been able to find the titanic in the middle of the ocean, so I’m pretty confident that we would be able to locate a monster in a lake.
    The Monster’s Wikipedia page vert briefly mentions using sonar on the beastie. Apparently in 1954 a fishing boat called the Rival 3 tracked a large underwater object moving with the boat that was at-least 475 feet below the surface. All other radar or sonar attempts have been inconclusive.

Here
    is the link to the Monster’s Wikipedia for a WHOLE lot of information on the Loch Ness Monster.

-Dana

4. Connor Edward Opalisky

Im surprised that there are still Loch Ness Monster claims going around. With all the modern technology we have I assume there would be a solid confirmation of its existence. I personally don’t believe in the Loch Ness Monster stores, and I think that the general population would agree. I’m guessing that a lot of the sightings and pictures that we see are just other animals or simply drift wood floating on the water. However, I believe that there will continue to be “sightings” even though his existence is never proven.

5. Julia Severyn

It does look like three seals when you mentioned it! I agree with Robert didn’t they already have most of the waters charted? What are your thoughts on the Loch Ness Monster, sorry I didn’t read your one before this to know what you thought!

6. Robert Jacob Griggs

Haven’t they been able to pretty much completely chart the entirety Loch Ness with modern technology? Is there any room for mystery in the modern age? Plus, yeah, that picture is totally three seals playing.