Dear Jaws,

As oblivious children, we might have crept into the living room while our parents watched a scary movie, our eyes widening with fear and we peered innocently at the screen. We might have sat with our mothers, cuddled up on the couch, watching a rom-com and giggling endlessly.  Throughout our lives we are exposed to a significant amount of media, each invoking new emotions within us.

At the age of 18 years old, I never truly realized how much television media has influenced my thoughts, beliefs, and fears throughout my life. When I think back as far as I possibly can in my life, the first prominent piece of television media in my life is the film Jaws.

Jaws (1975) - Posters — The Movie Database (TMDb)Source: IMDb

Jaws brought the pervasive fear of sharks, specifically Great White sharks (who are not actually very aggressive) to prominence in the late 1970s and on.  For my 5-year-old self, Jaws became my obsession in a multitude of ways.  Jaws was my first dip into the idea of exploration, the pursuit of knowledge, but also fear of the unknown.

When you ask someone “What are your biggest fears?,” people often come up with a plethora of creatures such as spiders, bees, or snakes. It is the foundational knowledge instilled in us at a young age that tells us oh, this is dangerous or that’s a word I shouldn’t say. In the context of Jaws, I experienced that fundamental awakening to fear and danger but in the same sense, I had a hunger to learn more about the menacing creatures themselves.

I began reading as much shark media as my small, developing brain could understand. I learned of the different species of sharks, their habitats, their jaw shapes, and I even decided that I wanted to be a marine biologist (though that has since changed significantly). The point is, Jaws awakened me to the world of science and exploration at a young age. That occurrence, sitting with my father on our squeaky leather couch and watching a film about an invincible killer shark, sparked my desire for knowledge and has impacted me for the rest of my life. Now, as an engineering major at Penn State University, I continue to implore the world around me for knowledge. Thank you Jaws for being the earliest film that I remember watching and for possessing such significance in my life.

Throughout this blog, I plan to analyze different prominent television media that has altered my perception of life and learning. Some may have never noticed that the inception of their actions was the result of a film or series. So, as you read this blog, I challenge you to identify one of your favorite movies or films and reflect on what that media truly means in the context of your life.

One thought on “Dear Jaws,”

1. You did a really nice job incorporating ethos and pathos throughout your blog, which definitely kept me engaged and interested in your blog. You connect the reader with relatable instances that many of us experienced as children, which is an effective way to appeal to the audiences’ emotions. I also like how creative the blog is since it’s personal to you and conveys the story you want to tell.

The only feedback I would give is to maybe be a little more analytical and explain exactly why Jaws is so impactful. Rather then telling a story, just make sure to analyze and evaluate sometimes, too. Other than that, really nice job!!