Avatar—and not the blue people

The time has finally come to talk about my FAVORITE SHOW OF ALL TIME: Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Avatar: The Last Airbender (TV Series 2005-2008) - Posters — The Movie ...Image Source: The Movie Database

Shortly after I completed The Clone Wars, I watched Avatar, and the experience was lifechanging. While Avatar is a children’s show (I guess I was still a child at age 14), the messages and underlying themes are ones that all of us can take away and implement into our lives. As we watch Aang, the Avatar, fight back evil with his gang of Sokka, Katara, Toph, and later Zuko, we really dig deeper into what it means to be human. It sounds “basic,” but stay with me.

Aang is just a kid. He struggles with his own cultural identity, with making moral decisions, and with his destiny that he must save the world. Aang reminds us what it’s like to be individuals in an imperfect society. However, Aang is able to accept even the most corrupt things or people, like Prince Zuko. Aang exposes us to how if we embrace forgiveness, we can free ourselves from our mental burdens.

As flawed humans who may have been wronged by someone, forgiving can be an unbelievably difficult task. It often leads to a moral dilemma within us, and it can be exhausting or painful to ponder, as we have to address the misdeed enacted upon us. Nonetheless, forgiveness allows us to lead calmer, more peaceful lives, and can even lead to a plethora of health benefits.

I’m sure that we can all think of a time when someone did something hurtful or rude to us, and it was hard to let it go. I think back to my first relationship in high school, where things ended badly, and it took a long time to reach a state of forgiveness.

But through forgiveness, we learn so much about ourselves and how the world can be painful but also provide us with the power to thrive. Now, I would say that is what it really means to be human, to face pain, to grow, and to become better. Avatar taught me this, and every single time I rewatch it (I think it’s been like four times now), it’s like I am rejuvenated with the energy to go out and embrace the wonders of life.

It is so interesting to me that through this simple cartoon made for kids, I was able to become so inspired, and I really hope that you all have a show that really gets your gears turning, too. Sometimes, all it takes is a rewatch of one of our favorite shows to spark that fire within us.

One thought on “Avatar—and not the blue people”

1. I think you’re spot on with the idea that even though it’s a children’s show it really is for any age. Not only is it just entertaining but like you said it is a keen insight to the human experience. We all had to grow up just like the Gaang did, and even now it is a struggle to practice forgiveness sometimes. The show highlights it beautifully, and you highlight the show beautifully! Good Job!