This is Where the Fun Begins…

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away… I was coerced into watching Star Wars with my dad at the approximate age of 9.

Actually, that might have been the most cliché way to start off this blog post. But yes, unfortunately, I am a mega Star Wars fan. My favorite movie out of the 11 total movies has to be Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005) - Posters — The ...Source: The Movie Database

Now yes, you could venture out into the internet and find approximately 6,510,000 results to surf through reviewing this movie, as the Star Wars films are some of the most well-known of all time. Some reviews have certainly mentioned the film’s horrible acting or superfluous plotline, but to me, the film represents a crucial aspect of my character.

At 9 years old, one is still in their phase of preconventional morality, where children between 0-9 years old strictly follow rules in fear of atonement and later begin to act in ways to benefit themselves.

For my developing mind, Revenge of the Sith was an eye-opening experience of morality and understanding good and bad.  One sees Anakin act following his broken moral compass, and he is persuaded to turn to the dark side and engage in dangerous force activities. It left me with a list of questions as the “Imperial March” blared on the screen in the final moments.

Watch Anakin and Obi-Wan’s lightsaber duel reenacted in front of a ...Source: Google Images

Was Anakin truly wrong in his efforts to save his love, Padme? Should we focus on loss, or concern ourselves only with the present? Is “the dark side” truly bad?

I faced a substantial dilemma concerning my at-that-point preconventional morality. I knew that if someone that I loved, like my mom, dad, or sister, or even my dog, had been in jeopardy, I would have wanted to do anything possible to save them. Revenge of the Sith questioned my human instinct to protect my kin, as I didn’t want to end up like Anakin, ambitious and power-hungry. Interestingly though, it made sense to me that the Sith may not have really been bad, just possessing more passionate energy than the Jedi.

Surely, being curious about all ways to solve an issue could not make one inherently bad. It just shows the ability of a person to seek diverse viewpoints and not live in a one-sided bubble. So no, I do not choose Jedi or Sith. I try not to dwell on my past or worry about what could have been, but I know if someone makes me angry I will stand my ground.

Many of us love to imagine what it would be like to live in one of those fantasy worlds, like Harry Potter or the Hunger Games, to place ourselves in those environments and see how our stories would unfold, to see what choices we may make in the face of adversity. It is these films, like Revenge of the Sith that expose us to moral dilemmas.

Revenge of the Sith motivated me to understand that there is no true “right” or “wrong” but that there is humanness. I try to encompass the Jedi-like traits of humbleness and stoicism, but in those painfully human moments of exploration, failure, or intense emotion, I become the Sith.

I urge you to ponder your morals and values and try to remember at what point in your life these developed. Think of your favorite movie characters, whether they faced the fate of the tragic hero or became Jordan Belfort, and consider how their morals may have influenced your very own.