What is this!? A center for ants?

I want you to take a moment and consider your relationships with your family, whether it be your parents, guardians, or siblings. Whether you’re close or not, many of us are able to think about specific defining moments that make up the bonds of our relationships.

In my past posts, I have focused on how television media has specifically impacted my mindset and growth throughout life. However, today I want to take it in a bit of a different direction and delve deeper into how specific media has influenced my interpersonal interactions.

One of my favorite comedy movies of all time and the earliest one I remember watching is Zoolander (2001).

Zoolander DVD Release DateImage Source: dvdsreleasedates.com

At the age of nine, Zoolander was probably mildly inappropriate, but it’s not like I truly knew what the “bad” stuff meant anyway. From Derek Zoolander trekking home to the New Jersey coal mines and claiming he caught the “Black Lung” to screaming “What is this?! A center for ants?” at Mugatu, Zoolander is a stand-out film forever embedded into my brain. However, the real reason Zoolander lives in my brain is because of how it stands as a foundational familial connection between me and my father.

I don’t even know that it was the idea that Zoolander was funny to my nine-year-old-brain (it is definitely funny now), but rather the idea that Zoolander was something me and my dad shared. It was like a special secret language that only we knew what the words meant.

Perceiving the joy that Zoolander brought my dad brought me joy. After showing him how much I enjoyed the movie, he continued to reveal pieces of his character to me through the media he found solace and amusement in. This is one of the defining characteristics of me and my dad’s relationship—we can always find something to laugh about together.

As humans, we itch for a sense of belonging, for that one bond that lets us know we aren’t alone. Through the power of television media, I was able to strengthen my relationship with my father and consolidate that feeling of kinship. This is a connection I will forever be grateful for. Now, me and my dad still find times to sit down and share a genuine laugh over some stupid comedy movie.

So, thanks Zoolander. 

By understanding the function of television media in my life, I have realized that I can strengthen new relationships by divulging what defines me (like forcing my friends to watch Avatar: The Last Airbender with me—future blog post). Think about your favorite movies and shows, even if you fear judgement for them. These are the building blocks of the things you enjoy in life, so don’t hide them. Show others what represents you, and you might be surprised by how much closer it can bring you and your friends.