Do Cosmetics have more disadvantages than advantages

I’m an Asian girl who likes cosmetics, because it makes me look nicer in order to let feel more comfortable. However, I’m not good at doing make-up, so I often watch the tutorials on internet, there are a lot of video tutorials on how to do makeups. And we should admit that the power of makeup is huge!

There are so many advantages for doing makeups, I can list  tons of them.  All coins have two sides, I always know that makeups are harmful for our skin, but girls couldn’t stop using then, until recently I saw a video on the internet which let me start thinking. The video is called Artificial  Beauty (365 days wearing makeups) The video shows if you put makeups everyday, which is counted 365 days, how will it look like. They put 365 layers on a model, and the result is like a monster.

Even though we will never put so many makeups on face in one day, but looking at this picture makes me feel disgusting and start to think of the harm they bring us.

Here are the 10 top harmful effects of using makeups:

1, skin diseases and reaction

2,allergies

3,harmful for eyes

4,damage to nails if using nail polish

5,cancer and other chronic diseases

6, aging

7, danger to reproductive organs

8,hair problems

9,headaches

10,unwanted dependency on cosmetics

It is indeed true that cosmetics bring harm not only to our skin but also increase the risks to have cancer and other diseases. Of course, it is impossible to talk about the harmful effects of makeup without mentioning ageing. Girls likes to use concealers to cover the spots, but ultimately, this spots may look even worse and you will look older than you actually are. In some cases a foundation or powder may dry out your skin and make it look flaky, dull and ashen. Makeup can also cause acne.

Here is a article explaining the details harm that makeups bring us, including the lab results scientists did on animals and how can products be tested for safety. Most of the ingredients in cosmetics that have been tested in animals for long-term health effects were studied in ways that apply more towards the effects of higher dose exposures that may be seen in workplace settings.

I hope men give less pressure on women because men always want women to look charming. Here’s a video if men put on makeups.

Interestingly, there are a lot of videos online showing the 100 years of beauty of a country in 100 years. Here’s the USA version. I found that when it get closer to  2010, the hair style is much more simple. I wonder if it is the trend that people are going after natural beauty nowadays.

2 thoughts on “Do Cosmetics have more disadvantages than advantages

1. Kateryna Onysko

As a girl I put on make up every day and I know that it is harmful but at the same time I cannot live without it. I did not know it can lead to diesease such as cancer. This pictire is so awful and it is just painful for me to think that this is how my face actually looks like. As author said there are always 2 sides, we never think about the second side and its consequences. Girls should be more educated about cosmetics and its influnce over us.

2. Cali Nicole Wojciechowski

Think what you looked into here is really cool. I always wondered what caused women to develop the sort of almost unhealthy codependency on makeup? Obviously societal norms and pressures. But is there more too it than that?