Does A Person Ever Recover From Bullying?

Whether we’ve experienced it first-hand, saw it happen to a friend, or watched it in a movie, we are all familiar with the cruel act of bullying.  But what bullies don’t know is that the name-teasing, harassing texts, and social media embarrassment, is not an easy thing to shrug off; it is a truly traumatic and scarring experience that no one should have to go through.  So the question at hand is: Does a person ever recover from bullying?

One study followed 1,420 subjects from Western North Carolina who were assessed four to six times between the ages of 9 and 16. Researchers asked both the children and their primary caregivers if they had been bullied or had bullied others in the three months before each assessment. Participants were divided into four groups: bullies, victims, bullies who also were victims, and children who were not exposed to bullying at all.  Participants were assessed again in young adulthood — at 19, 21 and between 24 and 26 — using structured diagnostic interviews.

Researchers found that victims of bullying in childhood were 4.3 times more likely to have an anxiety disorder as adults, compared to those with no history of bullying or being Unknownbullied. Bullies who were also victims were particularly troubled: they were 14.5 times more likely to develop panic disorder as adults, compared to those who did not experience bullying, and 4.8 times more likely to experience depression. The effects persisted even after the researchers accounted for pre-existing psychiatric problems or other factors that might have contributed to psychiatric disorders, like physical or sexual abuse, poverty and family instability.

One limitation of the study that I found is that bullying was not analyzed for frequency, and the researchers’ assessment did not distinguish between interpersonal and overt bullying. It only addressed bullying at school, not in other settings.  However, the study does show some concrete evidence considering most of what experts know about the effects of bullying comes from observational studies, not studies of children followed over time.  I think that this would change the conclusion of the study greatly and is something to definitely consider.

Another study, conducted at Duke University by William E. Copeland, lasted for an astounding 20 years and followed 1,270 North Carolina children into adulthood. Beginning at the ages of 9, 11, and 13, the kids were interviewed annually until the age of 16, along with their parents, and then multiple times over the years following.2013-03-05-shutterstock_108383702

Based on the findings, Copeland and his team divided their subjects into three groups: People who were victims as children, people who were bullies, and people who were both. The third group is known as bully-victims. These are the people who tend to have the most serious psychological problems as kids, and in the Duke study, they also showed up with higher levels of anxiety, depressive disorders, and suicidal thinking as adults. The people who had only experienced being victims were also at heightened risk for depression and anxiety. And the bullies were more likely to have an antisocial personality disorder.

The researchers also checked to see if the variation among the groups could be attributed to differences in socio-economic status, or family dysfunction/instability, or maltreatment (which they defined as physical or sexual abuse). All three groups—the victims, the bullies, and the bully-victims—had higher rates of some type of family hardship than the kids who didn’t experience bullying at all. For the victims, the risk of anxiety disorders remained strong even when taking into account family problems, though the risk of depression did not.  For bully-victims, the risk of both anxiety and depression held, and for bullies, the risk of antisocial personality disorder did as well.

In other words, these results suggest that bullying scars people whether they grow up in a home with two functional parents or with frequent arguing, not much parental supervision, divorce, separation, or downright abuse or neglect.

I found this study to be extremely in-depth, addressing all of the possible confounding variables.  Considering how long the study has gone for and the amount of people that were tested, I think that there a distinct correlation between bullying and long-term psychological effects.  One suggestion that I do have however is to analyze the difference in genders since there is a strong stereotype that girls are more emotional and weak, so it would be interesting to see if this remains true or not.bully-cartoon

So WHY does bullying have such far-reaching impact? Copeland and his team suggest the experience may change kids’ physiological response to stress, and their ability to cope.  While this is true, one thing that I feel Copeland failed to mention is the insecurities that develop due to the bullying.  People who are picked on tend to become insecure about parts of themselves and I think this plays a major role in why some people have problems in the future because they are not confident in themselves.

It’s important to point out that Copeland and other researchers don’t define bullying broadly, in a way that encompasses a lot of mutual conflict among kids, or one-time fighting. Bullying is physical or verbal harassment that takes place repeatedly and involves a power imbalance—one kid, or group of kids, making another kid miserable by lording power over him. As Dan Olweus, the Scandinavian psychologist who launched the field of bullying studies in the 1960s, has been arguing for many years, this is a particular form of harmful aggression. And so the effort to prevent bullying isn’t about pretending that kids will always be nice to each other, or that they don’t have to learn to weather some adversity.

In conclusion, there is strong evidence that bullying can be permanently scarring.  Although this is not the case for everyone, these studies show that thousands of kids have difficulty recovering from the incidents.  While it is possible that a person can recover from the trauma, it is clear that both the bullies and victims are not forgetting what happened between them and are impacted psychologically in some way. So before you continue to be mean to someone, think twice about how you are harming their life, and your own.

6 thoughts on “Does A Person Ever Recover From Bullying?

1. Katie Ann Farnan

This post really puts bullying into perspective. We all know that bullying is harmful and hurtful and can lead people to do some equally harmful things. But these studies really reinforced those ideas and show that it isn’t always going to recover and get better immediately. This was very in-depth and informative. Great job!

2. awk5516

I found this blog to be extremely interesting to read and a very relevant topic. My sister struggled with bullying throughout high school and she still suffers from the effects of it. It really lowered her self esteem and she doesn’t feel comfortable in her own skin a lot of the time. It is terrifying to me that this could impact her negatively for the rest of her life. I found a website that teaches people ways that they can overcome bullying and get back to leading a normal life.
    http://www.bullyonline.org/action/recover.htm

3. Kelsey Donehower

This was a really good topic to blog about. I think not many people think about bullying and the short term and long term affects it has on a person. Even though I was not bullied that much in grade school, I definitely witnessed it and supported and stood up for my friends or any peers that were. I like the question you proposed because I think it is something that people of all ages should think about. I do not think you ever recover because most bullying occurs at a young age, an age where we are trying to define who we are and find our fit in the world. Being belittled and bullied will only make us second guess ourselves and think that the person we are trying to become isn’t who we should be. Bullying shapes the person you are and the person you will be for the rest of your life, so I think those who were bullied will unfortunately carry that with them forever. However, bullying can also positively change a person. I think this post is a great eye-opener to most people and it is a topic that needs to be more popular.

4. Gregory Giliberti

This is an extremely interesting topic. I like how you are able to show with science that this is more than just “kids being kids”. Bullying has after effects that can last forever, and that is a scary thought. I think one limitation to both the Western North Carolina study and Copeland’s study was that they were both observational studies. Their findings both came from interviews. This means there will always be a bit more uncertainty whether or not it was the bullying that was causing the increases in panic disorders, anxiety, and depression. I am not sure if the science will become more clear in this field because you cannot morally expose children to bullying just for an experiment. That means that for now, we are just going to have to live with the observational studies we already know about and try to further the research in new, creative ways. One way I thought to deal with the moral implications of bullying humans was to do experiments on mice so we can manipulate bullying as an explanatory variable. There is not much research with mice out there, but I was able to find one study that showed how replicating a schoolyard bullying scenario led to changes in brain chemicals and anxiety in mice. It was unclear to me how large the study was. It was also unclear to me if the researchers used a control group that was not bullied to compare results. Nevertheless, the fact that brain chemistry was being altered opened my eyes to just how severe this problem may be. I think further research on mice will be what it takes to better understand what is going on in humans.

5. yvy5242

This is really an interesting posting, since I am a fan of watching FBI TV shows. There are many killers who has a twisted personality because of his or her experience of being bullied in childhood. I do believe that bullying can absolutely cause far-reaching results, which sometimes even show after decades. Even, being bullied can induce to be potential children killers. For example, this guy, Westley Alan Dodd, who killed those ever bullied him and could not stoping hurting innocent people. He sought to kill kids who fit the profile of his tormentors, before they had grown big enough to threaten him. An more detailed article about this kid is in this link: http://www.jaredstory.com/dodd.html Sometimes weak people are the most scary ones.

6. Taylor Leigh Mitchell

Bullying is always heard about in school but I never knew just how serious it was until after reading this blog post. I think this information is actually somewhat scary; parents send their 6 year old children off to school in confidence that their children are going to come back the same. But in reality another child could be affecting this parents child forever and they will never know. I did enjoy reading about the 2 studies you mentioned in your blog and i thought they were both similar in the sense that they followed children from a young age to adulthood. I think it would also be interesting if there was a study conducted where we could test the short term affects that bullying have on children because I am sure they are present as well. Being that childhood bullying could affect a person for the rest of their life I think schools need to do more to make sure their students are not bullying each other because no one deserves that.