Dean’s News

By Barbara Dewey, dean of University Libraries and Scholarly Communications

It’s hard to believe that another fall semester is about to begin. I hope you’ve had the chance to see the Penn State Welcome Back video. The library is highlighted in a number of places. Over the summer we were able to complete a number of projects at University Park and on the campuses to further improve facilities and services for our students and faculty. Examples include new furnishings, classroom upgrades, renovations in EMS, new online reference service, new video monitors with room availability, and a retreat devoted to University Park space planning. We have also begun to discuss the strategic planning process for the Libraries. Mike Furlough is leading this effort and you will hear more details soon. If you have other projects to add let me know.

I have been meeting lately with our new Provost, Dr. Nick Jones. He is very enthusiastic about the library and mentioned us as one of Penn State’s shining stars at the Academic Leadership Council retreat last week. Dr. Jones, along with President Erickson, hope to stop in at the Open House in September. We are very fortunate to have support at the highest levels of the university. This year I am chair of the Academic Leadership Council comprising deans, chancellors, and vice presidents. I will provide you with periodic updates on university-wide initiatives and issues based on this work.

I am delighted to welcome all of our new faculty and staff. We are excited to have you on our team. Many thanks to everyone who participated in interviews and are making our new employees feel welcome.

I hope you will save the date, October 2, 2013, 2-3 p.m. for the first Dean’s Forum of the year in Foster Auditorium and on Mediasite Live. The agenda will be forthcoming but we will discuss strategic planning and our process. Let me or Sandy know if there are other items or if you have good news I can share in the Kudos section.