So, we started the course on Monday with about 30 students in class. The introductory session was about half a very broad outline of how “mathematics” might connect to “sustainability” and “resilience”, and half the mundane but oh so important administrative details of how the class is going to run. Then on Wednesday we started the class proper with Unit 1.1, which is about measurements, units, unit systems, and unit transformation.
I have an ambitious tech setup for the class (involving two projectors, an iPad, two computers and some intermediate hardware) and so far we have not seen it working correctly – this despite three separate trials with no students in the room, when of course everything went fine. It’s aggravating both to the instructor and to the students to find oneself focusing too much on getting the technology right. Hopefully we’ll sort this out very quickly, but if not we’ll just have to back off to a simpler set-up.
I’m encouraged by the introductory blog posts so far though there will need to be many mroe by tomorrow’s deadline. This is going to be an interesting class!