Step 6: Lend a Helping Hand

Fig. 1 Lend a Helping Hand.

Over the past few weeks I have discussed things that you can do for yourself in order to help yourself. The work that you put in is the benefit you get from it. But, this week we are going to explore the power of lending a helping hand. A “helping hand” can be defined in many ways. It can be as simple as holding the door for someone else or it can be as meaningful as signing up to volunteer somewhere. There are many ways to do something nice for someone else. You can never think too big or too small.

I am a big advocate for volunteering. I love the community of people that come out to selflessly help others. Through volunteering you can reap many benefits, but only if you do it with the sole intent of helping others. You can’t expect others to help you just because you helped them. For example, you shouldn’t give a compliment just to get it in return. It just feels more genuine if someone randomly comes up, unprompted, and says “I love your hair.” Volunteering works the same way. You shouldn’t go into it hoping to get something out of it.

Now, you may be wondering where my train of thought is going. How does volunteering relate to building confidence? It’s simple. When you help people (without the expectation of getting anything) you actually feel better about yourself, helping

Fig. 2. Student Volunteering.

others helps you. Naturally, by helping others you start to feel good about yourself. I volunteered earlier in the year for Fresh Start, which was a day long volunteer opportunity. I felt refreshed and rejuvenated after the experience. I had more confidence in my ability to help others, even when I need help myself. But, I would suggest that you volunteer for a cause that you are passionate about or that you support. The volunteering experience would be terrible if you don’t enjoy the work or if you don’t find the work meaningful. Volunteering has many benefits other than building your own confidence. It allows you to socialize and decrease loneliness. It is a win-win for both parties.

Now, I understand that we are busy students with a never ending to-do list.We don’t have time to spend all day volunteering. We are constantly exhausted, but we can still do even the smallest act of kindness. We can find little ways to help others. But if even that is too much, just follow the golden rule and you will be able to boost your confidence and possibly someone else’s. The golden rule is to treat others the way you wish to be treated. By fostering a positive environment through that ideal, we will all be able to become more sure of ourselves and who we are. I hope that after you read this post you take one step into helping someone around you. Treat them the way you would want to be treated. Again, you can’t do it with the intent of helping yourself, if you want to reap the benefits. So, the next time you have the chance, lend a helping hand.

2 thoughts on “Step 6: Lend a Helping Hand

1. Volunteering and kindness are two amazing ways to feel better about yourself and also just feel better about the world. I love helping others to see the smiles on their faces, and I love volunteering to feel that I made a positive impact. I’m actually going to volunteer at the blood drive this afternoon, and I am excited to be able to do something today that I know matters and has an impact on the world. The more positivity we share, the more positivity there is in the world. Great advice!

2. I love this blog post! I love volunteering as well, and I joined a philanthropy group in my major as well. I feel that nowadays people volunteer in order to make any application sound better. Although, I know most people volunteer for the pure reason to help others. Volunteering gives you that feel good rush by helping others without the intent of receiving anything in return. It definitely helps with confidence and overall happiness as well.