Are your Food Labels Misleading You?

As college students, most of us have to grocery shop for ourselves. So when shopping, you’re trying to find the best deals and things that are generally good for you too. The labels are what sell you on the product. Labels contain buzzwords to catch your attention and think their product is superior. Buzzwords that you probably see are phrases like gluten-free, cage-free, antibiotic-free, no added hormones, and the biggest one is all natural. That is what I will be focusing on, what does all natural really mean?

allnatural

On the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s website they explain that they have not really developed a definition for the use of the term natural, however they do not object the use of the term if the food does contain added color, artificial flavors, or synthetic substitutes.

What does that mean? When you read the term “natural” or “all natural” it can immediately bring wholesome minimally processed foods to mind. Sounds great, right? Wrong, according to the American Society for Nutrition since the FDA doesn’t really provide a definition for the term natural, it is ultimately up to the food industry as to what it means.  So while they may not contain antibiotics, growth hormones, and other chemicals. In an article by USA Today it was also pointed out that this natural label doesn’t include any standards regarding farm practices. Even if meat is labeled natural, that doesn’t actually mean hormone-free or antibiotic free.

The American Society for Nutrition also pointed out that foods containing natural flavors, sweeteners, and other plant derived substances can be labeled natural. Even if food contains genetically modified ingredients, it can still be labeled natural.

I think that our society believes that the terms natural and organic are synonymous with another, which is absolutely not the case. Unlike natural food, organic food is actually regulated. If you are looking for a wholesome, actually natural option organic is your best bet.

As consumers we have to be aware of what we’re buying, understanding what labels mean is an important first step!

3 thoughts on “Are your Food Labels Misleading You?

1. Danielle Lindsey Deihl

This is a great topic to blog about, and also something that is relatable for anyone that buys his or her own food. When I looked online, I found this article that states that, “66% of consumers wrongly think “natural” means something” (Weise). The problem with this is that many Americans are wrongly buying foods that they perceive as healthy. Many people have different personal definitions of this word, such as how, “70% think it means no growth hormones were used in the animals feed and 60% think the animals got no antibiotics or other drugs in their feed” (Weise). Unfortunately, the FDA doesn’t have any definition at all. Many are petitioning to change this, but it may be a while before the FDA takes action on the ‘natural’ claim.

2. Jensen T Sneeringer

Great blog post! I always try to stay conscious of what I am purchasing and putting into my body, so I am definitely guilty of specifically looking out for labels such as “all-natural”, “fat-free”, etc. I also decided to dig a little into the topic, and found something that I think may interest you regarding GMO’s and a food producer’s right for advertising its product as “GMO-free”. This article specifically verifies that “…no genetically modified feed crops have been used in a certain time period before slaughtering, milking or laying eggs. It is not required that the animals have been fed with non-modified crops for their whole life.” I found this to be disturbing and I will think twice before assuming these ‘buzzwords’ make the product actually healthy.

3. yvy5242

This is really an interesting post, since I seldom pay attention on labels on food around me! I think Food Science and Nutrition really play a crucial role in our daily life. Thanks for letting me have a better understanding about labels around me!