Does Kinesiology tape actually work?

Kinesiology tape has become more and more popular in the recent years, beginning with the Summkinesio_walsher Olympics in when many beach volleyball players were spotted wearing it. The purpose of the tape is that it supposedly “improves athletic performance and reduces the risk of injury better than traditional white athletic tape by amplifying proprioception, which is your sense of where your limbs are positioned” (New York Times). It is also believed that the tape helps speed recovery from injuries by raising the skin away from irritated areas. So with this stated, is it really working? I have never used kinesiology tape, so I do not know, but it does not seem like it would work very well.

Jim Thornton stated, “There is no solid, independent scientific evidence that kinesio tape does what it is supposed to do” (New York Times). For sports, I have had my ankles taped more times than I can count, with normal white athletic tape. I know this tape works. I can not say kinesiology tape does not work, but I can not imagine it working any better than normal athletic tape. A review of relevant studies is consistent with my opinion, kinesiology tape is no better than regular athletic tape. I find it very intriguing how many professional athletes continue to wear it even though there is no evidence that supports its benefits.

A study conducted in Italy attempted to find the effects of the kinesiology tape on muscle strength in the quadriceps of the subjects. In this study, subjects were tested three different times, with the tape applied in three different ways: to inhibit muscle strength, enhance muscle strength, and with the goal to deceive. The study found that “none of the three taping conditions showed a significant change in muscle strength and performance” (Breakingmuscle.com). Based on this study, and the common belief among many professionals in the orthopedic field, kinesiology tape does not do much, if anything. Why do we then believe it makes a difference?

The common idea for why it is believed to be effective results from the placebo effect. John Brewer, head of sport and exercise sciences and director of sport at the University of Bedfordshire in the U.K., is one of those individuals. He stated, “I think if you can get somebody in the right frame of mind, then that can make a big difference on what they do” (Web MD). In my opinion, this is what happens with kinesiology tape. When people put it on, they believe it is going to have a positive effect on them, which boosts confidence. As everyone has heard in their lifetime, confidence is key. When someone has confidence, they can be unstoppable, especially when it comes to sports.

Kinesiology tape is a very intriguing product to the common athlete because it appears to help performance a great deal. I would be cautious before using it though, because I believe regular athletic tape can do just as good, if not a better job with stabilizing any any area of the body. In my opinion, kinesiology tape is mostly hype. It is produced in bright colors so it stands out and looks flashy. This overshadows what the tape actually does, which is virtually nothing.

One thought on “Does Kinesiology tape actually work?

1. jqr5447

I really found this blog post interesting because I have been wondering about this. I sprained back in high school and had to get my ankle taped before every practice. I asked my trainer about kt tape because I was tired of getting my ankle taped every day. He said that he did not believe in it, and I have always wondered why. Traditional taping makes more sense for added support even though it is more time consuming and bulkier on your body.