Are bilingual people smarter?

Growing up as a native Spanish speaker attending an American school, all I heard from people was that being bilingual was going to be a huge advantage for me in the future. For me, it was never a huge deal because I grew up knowing both languages and that was just normal to me. Other people thought it was really impressive, which made them think that I was somehow smarter, since apparently people who can speak more than one language are smarter than monolinguals. I never felt particularly smarter than others just because I was lucky enough to be taught more than one language growing up, but I still find myself wanting to know if being bilingual makes a difference in a person’s level of intelligence.

Up until the last century, it was assumed that teaching a child more than one language would confuse him or her and be detrimental towards their cognitive development. However, this idea was challenged by Ellen Bialystok of York University, who used a series of studies to prove that bilingual people actually show better performance on cognitive control tasks, since she argues that bilinguals are better at suppressing irrelevant or interfering information. She says that they have an easier time doing this because they already have to do that every day, by suppressing words from one language in their mind while they are speaking the other language. This makes a lot of sense to me, and I guess I’m technically doing it right now as I’m writing this. My brain is suppressing the irrelevant Spanish words and phrases I know, and instead only accessing the English ones. According to these researchers, doing this gives your brain a “workout”, which ultimately makes you smarter.

There is evidence that bilingual children solve non-verbal conflict tasks differently from monolingual children, as reported in a study by Bialystok and Majumder. Eight-year-old children were given a variety of non-verbal problems to solve, with or without perceptual distractions. Bilingual children outperformed monolinguals in the tasks with the distractions, but both groups were pretty equal in the ones without distractions. “Older people were also tested in a different study, in which participants were shown either a green or a red square on each trial, and they had to press a specific key as rapidly as possible in response.” The keys were situated in two different places in two separate instances, in order to compare the reaction times from both groups. The first instance showed no differences in reaction times from both the bilingual and monolingual groups, and the keys were located centrally on the screen. On the second instance, the keys were located laterally, one above the correct response and the other one above the incorrect one. Bilinguals performed better in this study than monolinguals at all ages. However, this advantage was only seen in the young children and older adult group, but for some reason not in the young adult one, which suggests that this advantage is only greater in young and older people, maybe due to the fact that young adults are at their peak age for developing cognitive control.

My final takeaway on this topic is that there might be a correlation between improvement in cognitive control tasks and being bilingual. However, there is no evidence that fully proves that being bilingual somehow makes you “smarter”, according to these studies it simply means bilinguals might have some advantages in certain tasks.

Picture links:

http://livingbilingual.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/The_Benefits_Of_Being_Bilingual.jpg

https://cdn.psychologytoday.com/sites/default/files/styles/article-inline-half/public/blogs/72146/2015/01/168341-173512.jpg?itok=nGDZzO0f

3 thoughts on “Are bilingual people smarter?

1. Jack Andrew Guay

This blog was very interesting to read and i found it to very insightful. One of my grandfathers is extremely bilingual and speaks 6 different languages. He speaks English, french, Spanish, German, Italian, and Arabic. He is one of the smartest people i know and has a very vast knowledge in a wide amount of topics. As impressive as my grandfathers language abilities are, there are people that can speak 50 even 60 languages. Its incredible to think that someone have that much language ability. Heres a link to an article that talks about people that know the most languages. (http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/07/the-contested-title-of-the-person-who-speaks-the-most-languages/)

2. hiw5140

This definitely makes sense that bilingual people can avoid distractions more easily than monolingual people. My biggest question on this topic is does it matter if the person was taught two or more languages starting at birth or does learning another language a bit later on in life still have the same positive effects of being able to tune out distractions? Learning another language later on in life is very difficult so my theory is that people who have the ability to fully become fluent in another language have the capability to not be susceptible to distractions as much as those who cannot become fluent in another language. Yet i do think that those who learn two languages right from birth probably have an advantage over those who do not. I think the age that the person learns the second language can have a major effect on this topic.

3. Nancy Hilary Berman

Growing up, my parents pushed me to learn as many foreign languages as I possibly could. Originally, I was planning on a career path in the medical field, and I took the languages Spanish and Latin to further advance my studies. In addition, I also took Hebrew. With the growing melting pot population in the United States, many education systems have been trying to set into place bilingual educational programs. Many organizations, such as the National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE) help bridge the gap between English speakers, and other prevalent languages. According to NABE, “sometimes researchers do not support the efficacy of bilingual education. Its harshest critics do not claim that bilingual education does not work, but instead claim there is little evidence that it is superior. Nevertheless, the evidence used against bilingual education is not convincing.” In a world where global interaction is becoming more active, there are many benefits to learning more than one language. Personally, I know that if it wasn’t for being proficient in 4 languages, I would not be the student and person I am today.