Music and Studying

Whenever I am on my computer, I am usually listening to music.  No matter if I’m reading news articles, taking random quizzes on Buzzfeed, or doing homework, I am almost always listening to music.  This got me to thinking about the connection between listening to music and doing homework or studying.  Does listening to music while trying to study or complete homework have a negative impact?

There have been many studies completed to try to find out if listening to music while doing homework has a negative or positive effect.  The results are mostly mixed.  A study completed by the University of Phoenix reported that music can be distracting when doing homework, especially if there are lyrics.  They suggest that students who listen to music with lyrics while completing work have a harder time concentrating and may later have a hard time remembering the information. 

You can read the full report here.

Another experiment by the University of Wales Institute in the United Kingdom, focused on different sounds and the ability to be able to recall information.  They had the participants of the study try to remember and later recall letters in order. They were tested in different settings like a quiet room, music they like, music they don’t like, and others.  In this study similar to the one conducted by the University of Phoenix, the participants performed the worst while listening to music. 

However, some studies have shown that listening to music that is instrumental while doing homework can help.  A study from the University of Dayton found that students who were listening to classical or instrumental music in the background performed better in spatial and linguistic processing. 

Conclusion

So what can be summed up is that it really depends on what music is being played to determine if it is helping you study.  It mostly points in the direction that listening to music while studying or doing homework is a distraction.  However, instrumental music has shown to help students while studying. 

Works cited

Seattle Pi

Mind the Science Gap

10 thoughts on “Music and Studying

1. Stacy E Smerbeck

This is a very cool post. Whenever I listen to certain playlists on pandora while studying and a throwback song comes on I always start singing like I’m performing. After it makes it hard for me to get back to studying. You should see what genre is listened to the most while studying.

2. Alyssa Kaplan

Personally I cannot listen to music while doing work. I find it much too distracting, as I just want to sing and dance along to the beat. I find that while there is music in the background while I am studying or writing a paper, I am not giving my work my full attention and the outcome of my assignment lacks quality. I find it so interesting that other people are able to multitask so well. I also find it interesting that you mentioned that the type of music in which people listen to while studying is also a large factor. I have yet to find a type of music to listen to that does not distract me.

3. Samantha Marie Grillo

I enjoyed reading this blog post because I am always listening to music. I find that sometimes I can listen to music while studying and doing homework, and other times I can’t. I think that it all depends on the person; some people can’t do homework or study without listening to music, and others need absolute silence. I do agree that listening to classical music while doing schoolwork is beneficial.

Here is the link to an article about why the distracting aspect of music is the lyrics: http://college.usatoday.com/2012/09/10/should-you-listen-to-music-while-you-study/

4. Jiamin Shan

I am listening to instrumental music right now, because I am in a library and the music keep the noise in the library away from me. When I listen to music and do my homework, sometimes I will be too focused that I can not even feel that I am listening to music. I think at that time, music has zero influence on me. I would agree that songs with lyrics will distract people and I come up with this based on personal experience. I think people’s taste in music, ability to focus and ability in multitasking will affect the final result, and cause the result to be mixed.

5. Danielle Lindsey Deihl

This article discusses a related concept – context dependent learning. Context dependent learning refers to how people, “recall information more effectively when they’re doing so in the same environment in which they initially learned it”. This means that students will remember information more easily if they listen to the same music they listened to when they first learned the information. The problem with this is that many students are not allowed access to their music during exams, interrupting the process of context dependent learning. I am curious to see what discoveries will be made about this in the future, and whether it will change school policies.

6. Thomas Curran

I personally love to listen to music while I study or do homework, but I can see how it can impact someone negatively. There are times where i get sidetracked by the music, but as long as the volume is not too high, I am usually able to stay on task and be productive. A lot of music that I listen to is very motivational, so I feel as if it makes me want to work harder at whatever I am doing. I think that you should try to find out what kinds of people are more likely to listen to music while they are completing tasks.

7. awk5516

Based on personal experience, when i listen to music i know and can sing to i get super distracted. i focus on the lyrics and whats happening in the song, rather than concentrating on my work that i need to get done. However, when i listen to classical music i seem to be able to focus and pay attention to what i am doing more. This would mean that i apply to everything that is said in the studies.

8. zsw5031

Listening to music while studying can be a positive or negative. I know this because I have researched the topic before. There are numerous studies that show it can be a positive and several that show that it can be a negative. I truly believe that it depends on the type of person you are. Everyone is wired different and everyone has their own preferences. Some people like skittles, some like M&M’s. I did find it interesting how you mentioned in your conclusion that it depends on the type of music you are listening to. Looks like I might of just found a blog topic for the next blog period!

9. Shannon Bridget Obrien

I’ve heard a lot about classical music being beneficial during studying. Studies have shown that it stimulates brain function, energy, memory and learning. http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/13417/20150313/listening-to-classical-music-good-for-the-brain.htm
    I also found that listening to music before you start homework is better than listening during the actual assignment. http://www.uloop.com/news/view.php/149570/Do-Or-Dont-Studying-While-Listening-To