Making Connections

Hi everyone!

My name is Olivia Frederickson and I am from a suburb outside Detroit, Michigan called Grosse Pointe. I am currently a freshman in the College of Communications with the intent to study advertising. When I first made my schedule, my advisor and I decided that this class could fill out a general ed requirement without having an intense focus on generic science concepts. When I read the description of this class, it was really clear to me that it has a unique curriculum and simply looked really interesting.

I have always had a variety of interests when it comes to what I have enjoyed studying throughout my life. Surprisingly, science was always among my main interests including marine biology and the human body; I have always loved learning about life sciences. Growing up being constantly surrounded by water and as a swimmer, marine biology has always sparked my interest. After I wanted to be a marine biologist, I became more interested in human anatomy and how our bodies work. The whole concept of being a doctor, specifically a cardiologist, sounded extremely ideal since it is such a fulfilling and meaningful career plus the income isn’t bad. Science in high school got a little tricky though and soon made me wonder if I could actually find a real passion in science when it came time to choosing a career.

I learned a lot about myself through the college application process and investigated what certain majors entailed. One thing I discovered is that I love making connections in life and solving problems through means of communicating. As broad as this sounds, it helped me recognize that every type of interest anyone has does just this. In science, it takes a very special ability to understand the specific details but anyone can and should recognize how important and truly incredible these details and specifics are. In addition to this statement, here is a link that will remind you of some essential things science gives us everyday.

science is everyewhere                                             Photo (near43.deviantart.com)

My interest in science hasn’t necessarily died, but in a way it has expanded. I love to find meaning in things other people are really passionate about and I think this class can really give me an opportunity to do that through this specific viewpoint of science.

In conclusion, I’m really excited to have an open mind and make connections with the scientific topics we will learn and discuss in this class!:)