Countdown to 2FA — student employees

Submitted by Dace Freivalds, I-Tech

Do Students Need to Enroll in 2FA?

Penn State students are not required to enroll in Two Factor Authentication (2FA). “Student” is defined as an individual whose primary affiliation with Penn State is “student”. Students who work at the Libraries typically have a primary affiliation of “student” with a secondary affiliation of “staff.” Therefore, Libraries’ student employees do not need to enroll in 2FA.
Exception: Students who require access to secure sites, systems or services protected by 2FA for their colleges, departments, research or classes may be required to enroll.

What About Staff or Faculty Who Are Taking Courses?

Libraries’ staff or faculty who are taking one or two courses have a primary affiliation of “staff” or “faculty”, respectively, and do need to enroll in 2FA by May 10, 2016.

What if I’m Not Sure if Someone is a Student or Staff/Faculty?

If in doubt about whether a Libraries’ employee is considered a “student” by Penn State Identity Services, contact Ryan Johnson (rxj15) or Dace Freivalds (dif1) — we can verify the status for you.

Can a Student Un-Enroll from 2FA?

Penn State students – unless they are required to use 2FA-protected sites, systems, and services – are able to un-enroll from the service if they choose. To un-enroll, send an email to 2FAsupport@psu.edu.

Where Can I get Help?

I-Tech has scheduled one hour drop-in sessions for every Friday through May 6. The sessions are at 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. in the I-Tech Training Room; registration is not required. Bring your Penn State ID with you (or jot down the last four digits of your nine-digit Penn State ID) – you will need this information to enroll.

For instructions, enrollment tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, visit Get2FA.psu.edu. You can also refer to I-Tech’s 2FA FAQ for answers to your questions. And if you bump into a problem, submit a Service Desk request and we’ll provide assistance.