The Dreaded Freshman 15

Everyone has heard rumors about the dark and so called eminent Freshman 15. It’s become a highly stigmatized part of college life, everyone is worrying about the Freshman 15 and it’s definitely a huge topic of conversation at my dinner table. The Freshman 15, mainly popularized in America and Canada, refers to the average amount of weight gained by a student during their first year of college. Due to the new access of junk food and the opportunity to make ones own decisions students tend to pack on a few extra pounds.

Whether or not the Freshman 15 is fact or faked is what we will be investigating, and mainly why students tend to pack on some pounds once they enter college?

A study has shown that during the first 2 years of college, students tend to gain an average of 3-10 pounds, most of the weight gain occurring within the first semester. The majority weight gain in college can be contributed to factors such as stress, alcohol use, change in diet and lack of sleep.

Being away from home, having a ton of work and trying to have a social life can put a lot of strain on a college student and added stress does not make for a healthy lifestyle. When a person is stressed their body tends to release a mixture of the hormones, adrenaline and cortisol. If you’ve ever been completely stressed out before you may have felt as if you were not hungry, the adrenaline released due to stress causes the blood in your body to redirect from your organs to your muscles causing loss of appetite. Once the adrenaline wears off all that is left behind is cortisol, the stress hormone, which signals your body to replenish your food supply, so you find yourself reaching for the nearest and easiest snack to fill you up which tends to not be the healthiest. Stress eating is one of the largest problems college students are faced with. When your body wants food and the only thing you have is a bag of chips in your dorm, you’re going to reach for those chips to satisfy the body’s needs, which creates a vicious cycle.

Many college students find themselves experimenting with alcohol, they may find themselves at a party or even at a friends house, but it happens. Alcohol is an empty calorie that causes weight gain for many students. It has been noted that, “Students who drank “heavily” (quaffing six or more drinks at least four days each month) were about a pound heftier than their tee-totaling friends.” Most notably students tend to drink the cheapest and easiest to get alcohol, beer. Beer is packed full of carbohydrates that when not worked off build up and build up until it becomes fat and you’re left with a good ole’ fashion beer belly. People tend to forget that alcohol is essentially empty calories, one can of the popular college beer, Natural Light contains 95 calories, drink 4 or 5 of those and you’ve almost had a meal.

Change in diet is self explanatory, student are allowed to make their own choices now regarding what they want to eat, mom isn’t telling them to eat their vegetables anymore, and to a college student the french fries in the dining hall constitute as a vegetable. Students are now free to eat what they want, when they want and can choose how much of it the would like to eat. A diet of french fries, pizza and Pepsi adds up over time.

Lack of sleep is one of the lesser known reasons for weight gain in college freshmen. Losing sleep at night disrupts two chemicals in the body that control appetite, ghrelin and leptin. When these two chemicals are disturbed our bodies beg for carbs to keep it going, this is why college students find themselves eating late at night, the body’s process has been disturbed and wants to be replenished.

There was a study done a few years ago to test the truth behind the Freshman 15. Participants with all relatively similar lifestyle from the same college were recorded to see if students really did gain 15 pounds during their freshman year. The results and conclusion of the study came to suggest that there was “an average weight gain of 2.7 lbs. About half of the students gained weight, and 15% lost weight. Men gained more weight than did women. Freshman weight gain was 5.5 times greater than that experienced by the general population.” Through their test they were able to debunk the Freshman 15 myth. Given that the Freshman 15 is the average weight gained by Freshman we can assume that outliers of incredible weight gain may have dragged up the average while most students don’t gain much at all.

So if it has been debunked by many people, in many different studies, why are we so fixated on it? Well, why are we so fixated on some myths we hear? It’s because it’s so convincing! We have no reason to not believe that we’d gain 15 pounds our Freshman year because it’s true our lives have drastically changed. I used to exercise daily when I was at home, but now that I’m in college I find myself tired often, not wanting to do much after class except sleep or do my work. Everyone will go through weight changes in college, whether you gain 2 pounds, loss 10 or gain the infamous Freshman 15, you’ll be okay! If you’re trying to avoid the Freshman 15 try to eat healthy, keep healthy snacks in your dorm (McLanahan’s Downtown Market is only a 15 minute walk away), try to balance out unhealthy things you eat with healthy options, get an adequate amount of sleep and most importantly remain calm!

5 thoughts on “The Dreaded Freshman 15

1. Emanuel Gabriel Mitchell

I bet this article put a lot of things into perspective for many college students. I highly doubt many people took some of these factors into account, because I honestly did not. Thinking about it though, it makes sense that many people stress eat, drink too much alcohol, and have lack of sleep resulting in weight gain. I think you should share this on facebook for freshman in college to see.

2. amp6199

This post was very informative on a subject that relates to a lot of people in our class. Being a freshman, I am very concerned about the Freshman 15. I wonder if there is a correlation between the food that a university provides and the average weight gain. By that I mean, if the university provides healthier options, is the average weight gain less than a university that does not provide as many healthy options?

3. bsf5104

Hi Montana!
    This was a very informative post on such a touchy subject (weight gain), especially considering that the freshmen 15 is a prevalent myth amongst Americans. I specifically enjoyed how you explored the relationship between an increase in weight and other factors that relate to college students, such as sleep deprivation and alcohol. I’m a freshmen, but I’ve already seen how alcohol has turned people into, “group thinkers,” as most people tend to consume alcohol under the influence of so called friends.

Anyways, I’m a pretty skinny guy who has a fast metabolism. Do you think there is a positive correlation between metabolism rate and the number of pounds gained? A third variable could be the dietary choices a student makes. That’d bean interesting study to see for sure. I really enjoyed reading this!

4. Abigail Marie Young

Hello, I would just like to thank you for posting such an informational article. It is really nice to know the science behind the freshman fifteen, and now I know how to avoid it. Here is an interesting article dealing with obesity being connected to the freshman fifteen. http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v28/n11/abs/0802776a.html

I agree with your post especially when it comes to alcohol. It is actually quite dangerous that alcoholic beverages are not required to provide nutrition facts. They are things that you consume, so we should know what exactly we are consuming and what it is doing to our bodies.

Thanks again for the topic choice, I really enjoyed reading your post!

5. Hunter Alexander Mycek

Hey Montana!

I really enjoyed this post because I am very conscious of diet and exercise. I definitely support the portion of you blog that had to do with experimenting with alcohol. I had a decent number of friends who joined a fraternity in the past year and almost all of them experienced some sort of weight gain. It is a hard thing to combat when you are eating a normal diet but supplementing it with alcohol.

I think it would be interesting to explore what students who do not gain the “freshmen 15” are doing to stay in shape! (maybe they aren’t fraternities!)