Why Are The Majority Of Us Right Handed?

Wherever you go you’ll meet people who are left handed and right handed. Maybe you’ll encounter people who favor both. But if you take the entire population you will find out that most of us are right handed. I don’t know why that is so I decided to research it. Everyone has one hand they have the easiest control over and you might wonder why. Well that all starts in the brain. “Lateralisation of limb use – that is, a bias towards one side or the other – usually begins in the brain. We know that some tasks are largely controlled by brain activity in the left hemisphere, while the right hemisphere governs other tasks.”

Many scientists have tried to figure out why most of us are born right handed. There have been several experiments conducted. One of those experiments was done on a group of apes. “In support of the idea, Braccini and her colleagues’ looked at handedness in chimpanzees, and found that when the apes stand on all fours, they displayed no real hand preferences. It was only when forced to assume an upright stance that a lateral preference emerged – although individual chimps in the study were equally likely to be left-handed as right-handed.”th-1

Although society has conducted many experiments it still seems we really don’t know why mostly everyone is right handed. Right-handedness may simply be an accidental by-product of the way most of our brains are wired up. “But proving the hypothesis is difficult, or even impossible, since it would ideally involve running neurological tests on our long-dead ancestors. The truth is we’ll probably never quite know what the sequence of events was that led our species to lean so overwhelmingly on the right sides of our bodies and the left sides of our brains.”

For all the left handed people out there, don’t worry. It’s been proven that left handed people have an easier time recovering from brain damage. Left handed people also have the upper hand in a surprise fight which means they can be better at combat sports.

SITES:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20141215-why-are-most-of-us-right-handed

2 thoughts on “Why Are The Majority Of Us Right Handed?

1. Bowen Wang

You did an excellent job regarding the topic you have chosen. And the references you got are really creditable. I love it. Right handedness or Left handedness always is an interesting topic to me. It attracts me a lot since I have been hearing about the difference, similarities, and the relationship between intelligence and hand preference. That is the reason why I did two posts regarding this during this blog period and links are attached below.
    After wrote those two posts and read though the article you wrote in here it changed nothing but my knowledge about this topic. As you said in the end of end of the article, left handedness indeed enhance one’s ability in several sports such as boxing, baseball, and many others. There are several reasons why this phenomenal happens including physical perspective and physics reasons, as scientists found though lots of data and research.
    But it is safe for now to say that there is no evidence that there is any mechanism have been found connecting human intelligence and the preference of hand. What we also know is that there are several potential causations for hand preference and till today no one could be confident enough to say that they know exactly which is the cause. Right handedness and left handedness are just equally as good as the other.

http://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/2015/10/19/lefties-1/
    http://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/2015/10/21/lefties2/

2. Hung Chieh Wang

I am a right handed, I think there is differences between left and right, but I don’t know that left-handed can recover from brain damage faster. But I also want to mention that most things in this world are made for right handed people. Some left-handed may feel uncomfortable using those things. I think people should improves the products they make to help left-handed people. Good post, thanks for sharing.