What is Creatine?

Over the course of the last two years or so, I’ve started to develop an inclination to work out. As I went to the gym more and more, I witnessed a kid grow drastically stronger, and become more developed, just in the course of about a month or so. Intrigued to say the least, I asked him how he achieved this feat. He responded with “creatine, dude”. An artificial substance that can be used to further enhance your workout, and allow you to make progress significantly quicker, creatine allows you to obtain more power while you are working out.

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 4.11.12 PM

Although creatine is in no way innocuous to your body, in the long run, there are many other substances that are undeniably worse. However, Interestingly enough, this white powdery substance, taken once a day with your workout can assist you in obtaining muscle quicker than you can even imagine.

Getting behind the actual science of this substance; Creatine increases the ATP, which is “the source of energy that is used to power the movement of contraction in working muscles is adenosine triphosphate,” as stated here.   In addition, your muscle cells become bloated with water, making it easier for them to grow. So, when you are at the gym, and you are trying to impress the girls around you, you’re in luck. As a result of your muscles becoming filled with water, your muscles are deceivingly more impressive than they should be.

However, although creatine sounds absolutely amazing, taking too much of it can effect your liver later in life. It is recommended in this article, that people who take creatine only take it consistently for one month, followed by a month without it, and then back on it.

4 thoughts on “What is Creatine?

1. Daniel Christopher Gallagher

I don’t personally believe in creatine unless supported with other supplements such as Omega-3 fish oil or BCAA’s. My reasoning is that I have personal experience with this supplement and for a first time user the effects can be so drastic that the muscle can actually get stronger so quicky that your joints would actually start to feel stress. I developed what they “tennis elbow” which is constant pain in my elbows whenever I want to lift heavy in the gym. But there are many rumors about adverse side effects of creatine and I feel the link I’m about to post will clear up some of the skeptics who believe these rumors.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/6-side-effects-of-creatine-myths-debunked.html

2. zsw5031

I can classify this blog as a great read because I am an avid gym-goer. I love working out and love seeing the results it provides even more. I use supplements such as pre-workout, BCAA’S, protein, and creatine. To be honest I feel as though the protein drinks I consume offer better results than the creatine. This can be attributed to the fact that most protein supplements contain creatine so it is and added incentive. Over the years I have figured out that results stemming from creatine directly correlate to the brand of creatine you choose to consume. The more expensive brands promise to offer the best results and they typically do. It is the cheaper brands you need to be on the look out for. Everyone wants the most bang for their buck but the cheaper creatines are known to contain fillers. Fillers are added ingredients that just add to the amount you are purchasing and they don’t offer any benefits in regards to your health. Overall great blog, I really enjoyed reading your experiences and the research you provided!

3. Michael E Rosenthal

I always wondered what the deal with creatine was. Now that I know some of the science behind it I am more inclined to try it before I go to the gym. Although, I wonder what more specific harms can it cause to your body? I decided to do some research of my own and came across this article about the effects of creatine on exercise performance. Take a look!

4. Rob Buckley

From first hand experience i can say creatine does work. Using it helps your body grow and recover faster than it would otherwise. Although there are some downsides to using creatine it is a great aid to growing muscle if used correctly. Also, great video really informing about the science behind everything it does.