“We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.” –Ronald Reagan

This quote is one that I refer to daily. I feel like everyday there is something that everyone can do that is helpful to someone.

From my previous presentation, I talked about my aunt being a social worker. Everyday she gets cases of so many children, and how much help they need. Although she can’t humanly get through each and every file, and save every single child, she does make a difference. She describes the feeling of putting a family together after such a hard time as being unbelievable. Each and everyday, her and her coworkers don’t help everyone, but they help someone. In the end, that’s enough. That’s one step closer to everyone being helped out by people that truly care for them.

Through personal experience, I have been writing letters to friends I have in the marines. Recently, one has been deployed to Afghanistan. Although I can’t physically be there the way I want to be, writing to these friends of mine gives them hope. Being so far away from home and fighting for our country there is never a moment that goes by that they aren’t worried. By writing to them, I’m helping them cope with not being home and giving them more company then just the men they live with. Relating to this quote, I can’t help every man in Afghanistan, but by talking to the few that I do it makes a huge difference in their daily activities.

By sharing this quote, I just wanted to show that little things could make a huge difference. Often people say, “Why do it? It can’t change everything” but it can change something. Trust me, it can.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to “We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.” –Ronald Reagan

1. ajc5880 says:

This is a very inspirational quote. I’ve definitely heard it before, although I can’t recall where. Thanks for bringing it back to my memory. It is a very powerful quote in terms of how it can be applied to philanthropic endeavors and other community service, but you do a great job pointing out how it can be influential on a small, more personal scale. Thanks for sharing!

2. pal5154 says:

I really like this quote and definitely can relate to it. I did a missions trip to Chihuahua, Mexico my senior of high school and that lesson was crucial! I was in orphanages most of the time, playing with the children, coloring, reading, playing soccer. I was just there spending time with them and they loved it because there are few adults there that have time to spare for them all. I donated many things like cleaning supplies needed, toys, clothes, and food. They all appreciated it so much. I couldn’t adopt every kid and bring them home with me (but I wanted too) but I was able to make them happy and show them that I cared about them. Even though I knew these children for such a short period, I was an adult they could look up too.

3. keg5384 says:

Yeah I always here about how “it’s all about the little things” and there comes a point when it really is because if no one can really help out in any big way and actually fix the problem, whatever the situation is, it helps when people at least do the little things instead of because it reminds them that there are still people who care and want to do something/would do anything to help. This is a very moving post